Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Control Arms? What is needed?
Front Upper, Rear Lower
0%
Front Lower, Rear Upper
73.33%
You Don't need 'em
0%
Get all 8 of 'em
26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Front Uppers and Rear lower Control Arms

Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Uppers and Rear lower Control Arms

Front Upper and Rear Lower is the absolute minimum needed to adjust Camber right? I have a 2.5" TF coil lift. I've got some flighty steering, maybe a 1 of play in the wheel. I would like to dial this in. Should I get an alignment before figuring out what ones to get?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was rear upper and front lower adjustable control arms.?.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Added a pole to get some feedback.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told the rear needed the new uppers for the necessary adjustment range. At least, with the Teraflex units. I've got the front lowers and rear uppers, and everythings been runnin' peachy so far. 800+ miles on the road and no DW or other handling issues with my 2.5" lift. Lovin' it!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Uppers and lowers do the exact same thing, just backwards from each other.

Up front, you need to shorten the uppers to increase caster after a lift. Some uppers do not contract short enough to get the caster where you want it, so lowers are the better choice - if you only get one set.

In back, same thing. You shorten the lowers to raise the pinion. If you only get one set, uppers are the better option.

ex-
front upper -
shorten to increase caster/lower pinion
lengthen to decrease caster/raise pinion

front lower -
lengthen to increase caster/lower pinion
shorten to decrease caster/raise pinion

the absolute minimum needed to adjust Camber right?
They adjust Caster. Unless you swap in adjustable balljoints, (or bend the c's or housing?) you can not change the camber.

Should I get an alignment before figuring out what ones to get?
Without adjustble ca's or cams, adjustable trackbars, adjustable balljoints, etc - the only things an alignment shop can do is center the steering wheel and adjust the Toe-In/Out. Go down to the write-ups area and find the DIY alignment write-up. There is an index at the top.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-01-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I second the front lower and rear upper adjustable control arms. That is what Rocky Road Outfitters told me to get to solve my wondering issue after my 2.5 in OME lift.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a TF 2.5" that yielded me over 3" (4 door ver). I got front lowers and rear uppers. It rides pretty good, but I know I need to adjust my angles a tad bit more. I am waiting until I install my new Coast drive shafts soon to re-adjust everything.

Everything I read and was told before was to do front lowers + rear uppers. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Uppers and lowers do the exact same thing, just backwards from each other.

Up front, you need to shorten the uppers to increase caster after a lift. Some uppers do not contract short enough to get the caster where you want it, so lowers are the better choice - if you only get one set.

In back, same thing. You shorten the lowers to raise the pinion. If you only get one set, uppers are the better option.

ex-
front upper -
shorten to increase caster/lower pinion
lengthen to decrease caster/raise pinion

front lower -
lengthen to increase caster/lower pinion
shorten to decrease caster/raise pinion

They adjust Caster. Unless you swap in adjustable balljoints, (or bend the c's or housing?) you can not change the camber.

Without adjustble ca's or cams, adjustable trackbars, adjustable balljoints, etc - the only things an alignment shop can do is center the steering wheel and adjust the Toe-In/Out. Go down to the write-ups area and find the DIY alignment write-up. There is an index at the top.
Thanks for the advice. Nothings bent and nothing is adjustable at this point. Appreciate you setting me straight. My dyslexia aixelsyd always messes with me on this stuff.

Originally Posted by CarlWooten
I second the front lower and rear upper adjustable control arms. That is what Rocky Road Outfitters told me to get to solve my wondering issue after my 2.5 in OME lift.
Thank you Sir

Originally Posted by ludski
i got the AEV front control arm brackets. for $110 its a good deal. helps a lot.
Ludski, you are the man. Been watching you build, good work.

Originally Posted by rubi3
I have a TF 2.5" that yielded me over 3" (4 door ver). I got front lowers and rear uppers. It rides pretty good, but I know I need to adjust my angles a tad bit more. I am waiting until I install my new Coast drive shafts soon to re-adjust everything.

Everything I read and was told before was to do front lowers + rear uppers. Good luck!
I do like my new Coast F.Dshaft. I bet I'll end up buying all the adjustments. I can live with what I have, but just want it a little better for the rare occasion that someone else drive it.

Now, what brand of Lower Front and Upper rear do I get? JKS look really nice but lots of $$$. Looking for a "mid-spec" option on this upgrade.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why not just go with Teraflex since that's what you have? I tell you their control arms are hoss!! I can't see anything hurting those.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
Thanks for the advice. Nothings bent and nothing is adjustable at this point. Appreciate you setting me straight. My dyslexia aixelsyd always messes with me on this stuff.

Thank you Sir

Ludski, you are the man. Been watching you build, good work.

I do like my new Coast F.Dshaft. I bet I'll end up buying all the adjustments. I can live with what I have, but just want it a little better for the rare occasion that someone else drive it.

Now, what brand of Lower Front and Upper rear do I get? JKS look really nice but lots of $$$. Looking for a "mid-spec" option on this upgrade.

I vote Currie adjustable control arms, beefy units, Johnny Joints on both ends and a reasonable price through David @ Northridge

Quick Reply: Front Uppers and Rear lower Control Arms