Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front upper control arm bushing replacement

Old 07-14-2015, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front upper control arm bushing replacement

Is there a write up on replacing the bushings on the front axle for the upper control arms. I have an 08 2dr rubicon. It looks like the drivers side will hit the plug for the electric locker and the passenger bracket does not look strong enough to use a hammer to drive it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

Its not easy thats all i can say.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never replaced them but I'm sure an air chisel (with a flat bit) is what you'll want to use to drive them out. I also think you just use a regular or ball-peen hammer to drive in the new ones. Again, I've never done them but this is what I would do.

Or:

If they are like a mid 90s Mustang 8.8 axle there is a fairly easy way. When I replaced mine on my Mustang years ago I used a drill (with about a 7/16" bit) to drill into the rubber bushing. Once through the drill will actually "walk" it's way all the way around the rubber bushing. Once you are all the way around the center steel sleeve will fall out. After that you can use the air chisel/hammer to crush the outer steel sleeve to get it out. Not sure if the Jeep's are the same style as the older mustangs though sorry. I would check but my stock axle for the Jeep is long gone.

Last edited by T&ERun; 07-15-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:11 AM
JK Junkie

To replace a stock clevite bushing i drilled 8-10 1/2 holes around the dia. Next punched the middle sleeve out. Thats the hardest part. Getting the shell out is easy.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Front axle bushings.

Thanks for the response. I have an air chissel so that will be no problem. The fitting for my electric locker is in the way. I take it I just unbolt and pry out of the housing. I guess it is probably on an O ring. Is there enough wire in the housing to lay it to the side while I drive the old out and the new in?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Cat Dr.
Thanks for the response. I have an air chissel so that will be no problem. The fitting for my electric locker is in the way. I take it I just unbolt and pry out of the housing. I guess it is probably on an O ring. Is there enough wire in the housing to lay it to the side while I drive the old out and the new in?
Tie a string to the wires. Be careful prying up the clip. If you can use a small pair of channel locks, slowly and carefully wiggle the clip out of the housing.

Quick Reply: Front upper control arm bushing replacement