Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front trackbar help...Im lost

Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scononie
sounds like you may have pushed it more to the drivers side.
Loosen both bolts on the track bar and shorten it. You'll have to turn your steering wheel to get the adjustable end to line up with the axle bracket. Once the bolt on the axle is installed , recenter your steering wheel, shake the jeep as hard as you can back and forth and retorque and remeasure.
thats what i wondered. I wasnt sure if i should shorten it up or make it longer..
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you adjusted the right way, but nothing associated with the trackbar should be loose or have play. The bar ends should both be very tight (125ft/lbs) in the frame and axle brackets. The bar itself should have the adjusted nuts tightened to 80ft/lbs. From under the jeep if you grab the trackbar and try as hard as you can to wiggle it it should not feel loose in any way, no part.

If something is loose on the trackbar, that is the problem. Tighten up whatever is loose on the trackbar.

Last edited by Biginboca; 06-16-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Sounds like you adjusted the right way, but nothing associated with the trackbar should be loose or have play. The bar ends should both be very tight (125ft/lbs) in the frame and axle brackets. The bar itself should have the adjusted nuts tightened to 80ft/lbs. From under the jeep if you grab the trackbar and try as hard as you can to wiggle it it should not feel loose in any way, no part.

If something is loose on the trackbar, that is the problem. Tighten up whatever is loose on the trackbar.
I had to take if off to drive to work today, Ill put it back on and check it again. When you put it in, should you tighten it so it pulls against the bolts? mine was sloppy untill i torqued to 125. Im talking loose side to side (pass to driver) before torqueing
Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like geometry might be off a bit. A half inch adj on the track bar wont move the axle a half inch. Id check measurements again.

Did you say you drove without the track bar?!? Wow.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rotbag
Sounds like geometry might be off a bit. A half inch adj on the track bar wont move the axle a half inch. Id check measurements again.

Did you say you drove without the track bar?!? Wow.
haha no, i took the adjustable one off and put the shitty stock one back on...it was not drivealbe with the new adjustable
Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greengiant
haha no, i took the adjustable one off and put the shitty stock one back on...it was not drivealbe with the new adjustable
You should be able to adjust that trackbar down to same length as the stock one. Is your ABS lights going off on you?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good hint too - if you can't get a large enough wrench on the adjuster nut on the trackbar, use a good solid punch and a BFH to drive that nut as tight as possible. That's what I did and once things settle to the point that I'm happy with the adjustment, I'm going to tack that nut in place so it won't back off.

Echo'ing the comments - the trackbar bolts need to be really frickin tight. If you don't have a torque wrench, use a breaker bar. If you don't have a breaker bar, get one. Tighten those things up until you can practically hang off the wrench.

As for adjustment. If you're 1/2" off to the drivers side, then you need to lengthen the bar approx 1/4" - half the difference.

Don't drive with it loose. Don't drive with it off. The stock control arm geometry is nowhere near triangulated enough to keep things aligned on their own.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Quick question on this, I bought mine used, but stock, so I thought, and I DO have an adjustable front track bar that I always thought was factory

Anyone here have a factory NON adjustable one??? WTF?!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
You should be able to adjust that trackbar down to same length as the stock one. Is your ABS lights going off on you?
yeah, i think it did yesterday as i was going towards the ditch. are you saying that It should be the same length as the stock one?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coley
Good hint too - if you can't get a large enough wrench on the adjuster nut on the trackbar, use a good solid punch and a BFH to drive that nut as tight as possible. That's what I did and once things settle to the point that I'm happy with the adjustment, I'm going to tack that nut in place so it won't back off.

Echo'ing the comments - the trackbar bolts need to be really frickin tight. If you don't have a torque wrench, use a breaker bar. If you don't have a breaker bar, get one. Tighten those things up until you can practically hang off the wrench.

As for adjustment. If you're 1/2" off to the drivers side, then you need to lengthen the bar approx 1/4" - half the difference.

Don't drive with it loose. Don't drive with it off. The stock control arm geometry is nowhere near triangulated enough to keep things aligned on their own.
I will have to try the 1/4" tonight and see if it helps.

Quick Reply: Front trackbar help...Im lost