Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front trackbar help...Im lost

Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front trackbar help...Im lost

I measured my front axel and found that its offset a half inch to the drivers side. So i lenghtened the track bar a half inch out. torqued everything down and went for a test drive. My Jeep went crazy all over. It was jerking towards the ditch real bad. Should I have shortened the trackbar? I made it half inch longer than factory when I compared the two. Also, when you adjust it, should it remain loose between the bolts? or should it be tightened down by twisting the adjustor untill its tight?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Do you have an adjustable track bar? I'm not sure what the specs are to straighten the axle, however, I can tell you that the bar must be tight, really tight. Your bolts should be torqued to 125 lbs each. Use a torque wrench and be prepared to use some mustard...cause 125 is really tight.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you left the locking nut on the trackbar adjuster loose then that could be the cause of your instability. That nut should be tightened down good.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goeagles88
Do you have an adjustable track bar? I'm not sure what the specs are to straighten the axle, however, I can tell you that the bar must be tight, really tight. Your bolts should be torqued to 125 lbs each. Use a torque wrench and be prepared to use some mustard...cause 125 is really tight.
Yeah, i have the TF monster adjustable...I did torque to 125 ft lbs...Im talking about when you put the trackbar in, should it pull tight against the bolts? i put the bolts thru real easy, just wondered if the bar should be adjusted so it pulls against them before final tightening
Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul R
If you left the locking nut on the trackbar adjuster loose then that could be the cause of your instability. That nut should be tightened down good.
I tightened it down per the instructions...80 ft lbs
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

125lbs at least! I went to 130 on my torque wrench.
Make sure the lock nut is tight. Is your axle centered now? Did you remeasure?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you torque it down with the jk weight on it on the ground? Or did you have it on a lift, needs to be on the ground with full weight of jk on it. Also get underneath it and push up on the adj clamp , if you see movement between the 2 threaded ends , the clamp needs to be tightened more.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Did you torque it down with the jk weight on it on the ground? Or did you have it on a lift, needs to be on the ground with full weight of jk on it. Also get underneath it and push up on the adj clamp , if you see movement between the 2 threaded ends , the clamp needs to be tightened more.
I had it on the ground..ill try moving the clamp and see it it moves. does the adjustment i made make since to you? it was half inch to the drivers side,and i made the the adjustable tb half inch longer than stock.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scononie
125lbs at least! I went to 130 on my torque wrench.
Make sure the lock nut is tight. Is your axle centered now? Did you remeasure?
As far as i can tell its centered. i measured it again and it looked real close. I just hope im measuring it right. I used the writeup, but it just seems odd using the tire as a reference point.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greengiant
I it was half inch to the drivers side,and i made the the adjustable tb half inch longer than stock.
sounds like you may have pushed it more to the drivers side.
Loosen both bolts on the track bar and shorten it. You'll have to turn your steering wheel to get the adjustable end to line up with the axle bracket. Once the bolt on the axle is installed , recenter your steering wheel, shake the jeep as hard as you can back and forth and retorque and remeasure.

Quick Reply: Front trackbar help...Im lost