Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Trackbar Creaking?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Trackbar Creaking?

So I have my lift installed for about 1.5 years now and all of a sudden maybe 2 days ago the front end started creaking.

It is exacerbated by turning/moving the steering wheel so my assumption is it must be the trackbar and it is coming from the left side.

I pushed up and down on the bumper pretty hard and replicated the sound a little and it is definitely in the vicinity of the upper end of the trackbar.

Is my best bet to just take the tire off and retorque it or should I be putting grease in their with it? Assuming that is even the issue?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 AM
JK Freak

anyone
Old 08-20-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a thought but could it be the bolt ends wallowing out due to the factory mm bolts vs. the 9/16" hole....? This could potentially give you some noise.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

is this a factory track bar or aftermarket and if it's the later, what make? a lot of aftermarket track bars are made with different kinds of busings and/or joints and knowing this will help us to answer your question.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
is this a factory track bar or aftermarket and if it's the later, what make? a lot of aftermarket track bars are made with different kinds of busings and/or joints and knowing this will help us to answer your question.
sorry totally forgot to include that.

Its a Rockkrawler front trackbar.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 PM
JK-Forum Founder

can you tell which end it's creaking from? the heim or the bushing end? if the later, could be you just need to grease it. if the prior, could be your heim just needs to be replaced.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure to check for cracked/cracking trackbar mounts as well. Get up underneath while someone turns the wheel back and forth, look for any movement that coincides with the noise.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

can you tell which end it's creaking from? the heim or the bushing end? if the later, could be you just need to grease it. if the prior, could be your heim just needs to be replaced.
Bushing end for sure.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by ORWJK
Make sure to check for cracked/cracking trackbar mounts as well. Get up underneath while someone turns the wheel back and forth, look for any movement that coincides with the noise.
if the mounts were really failing, he would most likely have death wobble.

Originally Posted by Trauma
Bushing end for sure.
i would take apart the bushings and if they are the hard plastic like vecton material, smear a liberal amount of white lithium grease to them around the mating surfaces, crush sleeve ect and reinstall. they are most likely dry and this should help.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

if the mounts were really failing, he would most likely have death wobble.

i would take apart the bushings and if they are the hard plastic like vecton material, smear a liberal amount of white lithium grease to them around the mating surfaces, crush sleeve ect and reinstall. they are most likely dry and this should help.
Its more of a dense rubber than a plastic. I don't think it comes apart.

Quick Reply: Front Trackbar Creaking?