Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Spring Bent !!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSS
Is this a joke?

Come on seat the dang spring.

Over 20 years working on Jeeps and never have I seen a bent coil.

SHEESH
No its not a Joke, dont you see the pics?
The spring is seated! Go look at your Jeep's driver side spring perch and compare for yourself.

Maybe "bent", as in permanently, isnt the correct term we should be using.
The coil is obviously bend(ing), as in flexing, in the pics though.

Originally Posted by BOSS
Do a test and try to bend a coil spring, aint going to happen.

Those coils are not bent, but tilted to saverly. Call the manufacture about this problems.
No you probably cant bend a coil permanently, but you can bend it over, as seen in the pics.
From what I can tell in his pictures, he does not have adjustable control arms,
which means he has the FT economy kit with no adjustment....
So yeah he does need to call FT about this, because it shouldnt be that way.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by easttnruby
Ease up on calling this a "FT issue". I have got about 12,000 miles on my FT 3" lift and many thousands of those off-road. My springs sre totally straight at all four corners as are two friends with FT Jk lifts. Something must not be adjusted, centered, or installed properly. It is dam near impossible to bend the spring without noticing you did something serious.
All we're saying is he should call FT and figure it out.

Again, from what I can tell, he has the economy kit with no adjustable control arms.
His coils are seated, yet they are bending over, it should not be that way.

You and your friend may not have any problems with your FT kits, but that doesnt mean something hasnt happen to their coils as of lately.

Also, I have personally seen another JK last weekend with a brand new Premium kit, which has NON-adjustable arms, with the same coil problem,
the driver side coil was rubbing the swaybar for crying out loud!

Last edited by Eracer76; 03-10-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Is there a height differnce between the standard and HD springs? If the non-adjustable control arms are installed, maybe a height difference is causing it.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

I just installed FT 3" HD springs and they are both straight. I do have adj control arms with my caster set at 5 degrees. Id definitely give FT a call and see what they suggest.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my FT 3" lift. One forward one back. When I called FT they asked me to send them pics. I did. They asked me to adjust the arms back, then adjust the caster, then forward, set it at stock lengths, try an alignment and last rotate the springs. FT after about 2 weeks of trying different things sent me new springs. They have been on the jeep for 3 or 4 months now and are still straight. The first set I could get them to bent by just putting my body weight on them.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Jeep
I had the same problem with my FT 3" lift. One forward one back. When I called FT they asked me to send them pics. I did. They asked me to adjust the arms back, then adjust the caster, then forward, set it at stock lengths, try an alignment and last rotate the springs. FT after about 2 weeks of trying different things sent me new springs. They have been on the jeep for 3 or 4 months now and are still straight. The first set I could get them to bent by just putting my body weight on them.
Thanks for the info...
The same thing is happening to the guy I know, one is bent forward, the other is bent backward...
There is no way adjusting caster will fix both coils, which he cant do anyway with the premium kit.

Now maybe people here will believe us that there is a problem with the coils.
I'll be sure to let the guy know that he needs to call FT and get his replaced
Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

I really appreciate your all input into this issue,

Yes I do have the Econo lift.

I have sent an Email to FT along with the pictures and hopefully they will just send me new spring rather than trail and error testing which waste more time...

In the mean time, I am taking it to the workshop to uninstall and install the spring again...

Thanks all, Will keep you posted.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 AM
JK Freak

Could it be a similar issue to the one Rough Country reported?

"Rough Country is not having an issue with coil spring failures. We have taken a second look at the front lower coil seat and the OE front coil design that we used to establish our first production runs and have determined that by changing the first 2 wraps of the front spring to follow the OE lower spring pad rise more closely will result in a coil with less bow. The OE coil and our first production runs that matched the OE design did not do as good a job following the lower mounting surface and resulted in the coil wanted to come out of the lower coil pocket in the direction opposite of the end of the lower coil wrap. Coil springs that bow slightly are not a performance issue, but do not look good and for us this was an easy issue to correct. Enhancing this coil design has taken longer than anticipated however with sampling and testing, and has resulted in a situation where we have been out of stock for a period of time and given that we have not been able to ship several rumors have developed."
Old 04-01-2008, 11:51 PM
JK Newbie

Angry Going Mad this time...Big No for Full Traction

To confirm the bent, I had my front lift kit taken out, the coil is bent exactly as priell3 mentioned on the post above about "Rough Country"..any way, as you all recommended to contact Full Traction...

Since I have posted this tread, I have really gone into unexpected very poor customer service with Full Traction.

First Email was sent with pictures attached, no reply,

called them and I have explained my issue and they told me that they can not comment on anything until they see it... When I told them about the Email i sent, said " We may have missed your Email, please Email us again with pictures and will get back to you next week, we are very busy this week"

Then I have forward them the email I have sent before, same thing, 2 weeks passed..no reply

To make it short, till now I have not get any reply from them...

we are here to share experience and to learn from each other, and here I am sharing my experience with Full Traction.

Last edited by Jeep_R; 04-02-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man I'm sorry about that. It will come back to bite them in the end.

Quick Reply: Front Spring Bent !!