Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Spool With Hubs

Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Spool With Hubs

Probably wont get a ton of help on this here but figured id check. Ive been searching pirate but as usual its both sides of the fence there.

Is anyone currently running a spooled front with locking hubs and hydro? Itd be fine on road with the hubs open. But offroad should still be steerable with hydro. I like how tough the spools are and cost wise it makes sense. I was debating slugs and a zip locker and may still do, but kind of on the fence. Any real world experience?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt do a spool. Ever tried turning fully locked offroad? The hydro will turn the wheels no prob but you'll be scrubbing bad and turning radius will suffer. I cant remember if you already have hubs but if now they are about a 1300+ conversion. That cost plus a 250-300 spool and your well about a selectable locker. Go selectable imo
Old 03-03-2014, 02:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but the Dana 60 he is swapping in already has hubs.

If you have the cash, I say go selectable. Otherwise, spool it and just unlock a hub in the tight sections... gets to be a pain in the ass though.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 AM
JK Jedi

I figured itd be a pain if i hit a long rocky section. I get spools for about 100 bucks though. My axles as said already have hubs. We always seem to be getting in and out of our jeeps but i can see the spool being a pain sometimes...
Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

You could always lock one hub to keep it "open" then lock the other in technical stuff
Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
You could always lock one hub to keep it "open" then lock the other in technical stuff
yeah never intended to do both on the trail. im sure i should go selectable front. i may do a zip locker and slugs. but the strength of a spool and cost is nice, but i may start blowing hubs though...
Old 03-03-2014, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

I would go with selectable all the way. Itll still scrub with one hub locked. If you have left locked and turn left with a 50/50 split tcase its going to wanna turn left faster than it should be and vise versa. Go arb and get the added bene of onboard air ;-)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

I would go with selectable all the way. Itll still scrub with one hub locked. If you have left locked and turn left with a 50/50 split tcase its going to wanna turn left faster than it should be and vise versa. Go arb and get the added bene of onboard air ;-)
i already have dual viairs and a 5 gallon tank.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz

i already have dual viairs and a 5 gallon tank.
Eaton electric then
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi

Eaton electric then
negative. its either a yukon spool or yukon zip locker. will most likely be a yukon zip locker

Quick Reply: Front Spool With Hubs