Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

front and rear lockers for 2015 sport auto

Old 12-25-2020, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve read in various places that LSD (Limited Slip) or Trak-Lok as Jeep puts it becomes an open diff at/around 30-40K miles as the clutches wear and no longer provide LSD functionality. Not sure how true this is. I have a 2016 JKU 75th Anniversary with this feature (Dana44 Trak-Lok) with 38K miles and still seems operational, I baby my girl, I have changed the diff fluid twice already, with LSD additive. Not sure though if I can count on the LSD “petering out” soon though, and, is it worth upgrading the front diff, 35 in my case without a major overhaul, in my case something selectable, not automatic?
Old 12-25-2020, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Sapphire
I’ve read in various places that LSD (Limited Slip) or Trak-Lok as Jeep puts it becomes an open diff at/around 30-40K miles as the clutches wear and no longer provide LSD functionality. Not sure how true this is. I have a 2016 JKU 75th Anniversary with this feature (Dana44 Trak-Lok) with 38K miles and still seems operational, I baby my girl, I have changed the diff fluid twice already, with LSD additive. Not sure though if I can count on the LSD “petering out” soon though, and, is it worth upgrading the front diff, 35 in my case without a major overhaul, in my case something selectable, not automatic?
the trutrac doesn’t use clutches so no wearing out there.
The following users liked this post:
Pete Sapphire (12-25-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am thinking about putting trutracs and 4.10s in both ends of my sport. I can run 35s on my rig then and be super happy. I am 3.21 now with 33's and it's perfect for my driving.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Sapphire
Not sure though if I can count on the LSD “petering out” soon though, and, is it worth upgrading the front diff, 35 in my case without a major overhaul, in my case something selectable, not automatic?
"without a major overhaul" means you are not regearing, correct?

Have you verified that the factory lsd is still working? If it is, leave it alone until there is a reason to rip apart that axle. If it is not working --> do you actually 'need' the added traction enough to justify the cost of either replacing the clutches or swapping in a new locker/limited? Or would the BLD be enough for your usage?

Same for the front axle, is it a need or just a 'want'? Personally I would not spend a grand on a selectable for a D30, ESPECIALLY if I was not already in there doing gears. I'd either leave it open and rely on the BLD (and rear locker/limited), or go for a much less expensive gear-driven limited. (Detroit Truetrac / Powertrax GripPro ). But opinions on this subject certainly vary, read and come to your own decision based on use/budget/build/personal opinion/etc.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would agree the D-30 isn't worth more then just a gear swap. But I had a '94 XJ, I bought new (back in the day). I wheeled the heck out of it, took it on 6+ trails in Moab and the front axle survived, maybe just luck. At the time I had just the rear locked and I distinctly remember damn near flipping over because of the rear being locked.
I use to think the first locker you should add is for the rear, but after watching this video, I no longer think that.

Quick Reply: front and rear lockers for 2015 sport auto