Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front or Rear Locker First

Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Feasterdef
If u rock crawl start with front. If u are a mud guy go rear. I'm a rock crawler and did front first and couldn't be happier. Huge difference pulling yourself over rocks versus trying to push yourself over.
I would have argued this until I was blue in the face until a few months ago.
Few guys in the local Jeep club went out and literally tested front locker only vs rear locker only.
Long story short, the reports and videos were conclusive.
Front locker is more beneficial than rear when crawling rocks.
I was surprised.

longer version; when trying to climb ledges, steep waterfalls, rear locker only would spin/dig in... front locker only would climb. Of course the best option was to have lockers front and rear, but their testing was pretty clear that if you could only afford one, front is the way to go for the trails around these parts... rocks.

Last edited by Mike H.; 03-16-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I would have argued this until I was blue in the face until a few months ago. Few guys in the local Jeep club went out and literally tested front locker only vs rear locker only. Long story short, the reports and videos were conclusive. Front locker is more beneficial than rear when crawling rocks. I was surprised. longer version; when trying to climb ledges, steep waterfalls, rear locker only would spin/dig in... front locker only would climb. Of course the best option was to have lockers front and rear, but their testing was pretty clear that if you could only afford one, front is the way to go for the trails around these parts... rocks.
Do you have links to the videos? I also have always felt the rear would be the best option first as the weight being in the back on climbs and such but it makes sense that the rear would dig in and such. Good point.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Few guys in the local Jeep club went out and literally tested front locker only vs rear locker only.
I was surprised.

longer version; when trying to climb ledges, steep waterfalls, rear locker only would spin/dig in... front locker only would climb. Of course the best option was to have lockers front and rear, but their testing was pretty clear that if you could only afford one, front is the way to go for the trails around these parts... rocks.
I think the best option is a front and rear locker, but individually selectable. Jeep does not offer that. Honestly, driving with front locked sucks. It is too difficult to steer, and in some situations, driving the best line is critical. Fighting steering is not a good choice. But I can believe that a situation will come up where locking the front will pull you through.

Just curious: Is there any OEM vehicle that is sold with a front locker only?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was surprised.

I would agree just bite the bullet and get both.... Some people would argue locking the D30 is a waste.. I say its not as weak as you think, plus its still has the same weak C as the Rubicon D44's. I'd rater have a Locked D30 than a open 44 in the front.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd put an Aussie in the front before I spent the money for a selectable in a 30
Old 03-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Do you have links to the videos? I also have always felt the rear would be the best option first as the weight being in the back on climbs and such but it makes sense that the rear would dig in and such. Good point.
This is probably true if the obstacle is lower than the axle of the front tires so that as the rear pushes, the fronts can roll over the obstacle. If the obstacle is higher than the axle (and near vertical) then I suspect the rear would just push the front into the obstacle and not over. With the front locked, then it's trying to climb the obstacle. Wow... that sounds mostly like BS.. but maybe...
Old 03-16-2016, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you Look at jedg profile picture. Its clear that the front locker would do less than the rear..... or am I just looking at the picture wrong?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
If you Look at jedg profile picture. Its clear that the front locker would do less than the rear..... or am I just looking at the picture wrong?
That's a misleading photo. It's a freez shot of a video. The ledge just behind the front tires was holding me up. I had the rears locked and was spinning. Engaged the fronts and immediately climbed it.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
That's a misleading photo. It's a freez shot of a video. The ledge just behind the front tires was holding me up. I had the rears locked and was spinning. Engaged the fronts and immediately climbed it.
I've been in a situation actually a couple weeks ago where I was straddling a wash out where each side differed in height causing the jeep to articulate a lot and at one point it is about a 4 foot ledge to climb over. With 35s and open diffs I crawled it with ease, fast-forward to a couple weeks ago and with 37s and a rear only locker I couldn't get it. The rear pushed the front into the hill and bound up the front tires causing them to not spin. If I had a front locker it would've been cake. Thinking more of it, I agree with you. I would say front - rear is 50/50 depending on the situation.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:40 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jordy
Locked is locked. Point it in a direction you want to go and it will get you there. Steering doesn't do much with everything locked up, especially when aired down.
Exactly. Most guys I've seen don't use their front locker unless they're stuck and they really have to flip it on. In the rocks, use it just long enough to point your front tires, get over the obstacle, then switch it back off so you can steer without worrying about snapping something.

If in the snow, engage the front locker if you're driving in thick powder to help get you through.

Last edited by DJ1; 03-17-2016 at 02:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Front or Rear Locker First