Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front or Rear Locker First

Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front or Rear Locker First

I'm leaning toward installing the front locker first in my 2011 JK Sport. Since it has limited slip in the rear, I think this might be the way to go. I will eventually install a rear locker. I've talked to several off-road shops about this. They seem to be split 50/50.

I do use this Jeep off road. I've made a trip to Moab last year and have another planned soon. I also head to Death Valley once or twice a year and hit the deserts in southern California regularly.

Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with the rear.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have limited slip in the rear....this is a traction device...put a locker in the front first.

Oh the places you will go
Old 05-19-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would start with the rear. My only other suggestion is save a little more a go with a selectable locker. Tight trails with sharp corners are never fun with none selectable.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:42 AM
JK Junkie

Locker up front on a d 30 is a waste, jmo.

Go with a rear first, buying a front one that gets traded out after upgrading axles or shafts and that becomes cash down the drain.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Tough call. LS is a decent traction device but it is NOT on the same level as a locker. I hardly use my front locker as I find my rear locker is usually more than adequate. I go over things with ease with my rear locker engaged that others with LS have major trouble with. The front locker is nice on rock climbs that require zero wheel turn. Other than that, I find it annoying and never use it.

Question for you, do you have any plans to regear anytime soon? Most that install lockers will tend to regear at the same time since crap needs to get opened. Your setup doesn;t scream the need to regar but just throwing that out there.
Yes, planning on re-gearing at the same time as locker install. Not sure to what ratio yet. I'm really liking the 19MPH I get on the freeway, so don't want to mess that up too much.

And, yes, I understand that a LS and a locker are not on the same level. With my current setup, I've driven Metal Masher and several other fairly difficult routes in the Moab area.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
Locker up front on a d 30 is a waste, jmo.

Go with a rear first, buying a front one that gets traded out after upgrading axles or shafts and that becomes cash down the drain.
I'll never have the money to replace the front axle, so am planning of re-sleeving the front when I do the install (if I go that way).
Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knnphillips
I would start with the rear. My only other suggestion is save a little more a go with a selectable locker. Tight trails with sharp corners are never fun with none selectable.
Already planning on this!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I put a locker in the front first on the 30. I used an aussie locker cause they are pretty cheap. I do plan on changing the front out in the feature and thats why i went with an aussie. It is a little enoying not being able to switch it on and off though and their is lots of clicking that also drives me nuts. I guess the clicking is normal for my JK. My buddy has a TJ or YJ or something around their and it does not make a peep. Thats just my 2 centavos, and good luck on deciding
Old 05-20-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saravonshep
I put a locker in the front first on the 30. I used an aussie locker cause they are pretty cheap. I do plan on changing the front out in the feature and thats why i went with an aussie. It is a little enoying not being able to switch it on and off though and their is lots of clicking that also drives me nuts. I guess the clicking is normal for my JK. My buddy has a TJ or YJ or something around their and it does not make a peep. Thats just my 2 centavos, and good luck on deciding
Thanks for the input, Chris!

Quick Reply: Front or Rear Locker First