Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front and Rear Bumpers: Poison Spyder or LOD

Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the LOD front and Rear. Love the looks. Beefy bumpers. Installed myself with an ATV lift!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06380 - R.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	301131Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06381 - R.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	301132
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06376 - R.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	301133  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by finndogg

That's a nice looking bumper, I do like. I'll think about it and the weight is nice, nearly half the weight. Have you every worried about it bending or anything getting pulled or pulling someone.
Not at all. It is very stout. The winch plate is 1/4" steel. Not to mention the mounting hardware and powdercoat is top notch. The bumper honestly looks better in person
Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a PSC Brawler Lite and love it. Actually considering a LOD rear as ones being sold locally.

Have you looked at Rugged Ridge's aluminum bumbers? They're same weight as the factory bumper. I'm thinking about getting the rear to save some weight.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nwapache
So, I presume this means you have lod and don't like it? I just spent a week banging my lod front bumper on Moab slick rock and you can't even tell. No scratches, no dents, and it hasn't moved one millimeter. Oh, and two of my wheeling buddies who were there running the same trails with the same bumpers have the same experience. We must have gotten freak lod bumpers then, weird that our finishes aren't all rusty and flaking like yours. Please post photos, because now you've convinced me something must be wrong.
Please provide me with the link to your install write up on YOUR Poison Spider front and rear bumpers so I can read about your first hand experience with their fit finish and quality. Oh, wait, you had to powder coat your psc bumpers yourself so finish is up to your own abilities.

My reality for this comparison is like blonde or brunette. Both are great products, both look awesome, and both are built to take a pounding. Good luck!
I'm so very proud for you and your buddies who seemingly have proved me wrong. Guess I and everyone else should change their perspective on the LoD product because of you. My initial reply clearly knocked the "finish and customer service" and not the durability of the product. Maybe you should take a few moments and thoroughly read before ranting at ones OPINION genius. Oh and my facts are purely based off of my own experiences with my sliders in which the powder coating flaked off and rust has formed at every weld and significantly spread. This started only 6 months after the install btw. With regards to me finishing my own PSC bumpers, what are you talking about? I'm still running stockers. My reasoning that the PSC has a superior finish is based solely on the fact that 3 of the PSC bumpers that I've come across all looked great, even after a couple of years of having been on the Jeep and beaten by our snowy/salty winters.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Facing the same dilemma, but with PSC and Shrockworks. Settled on PSC up front, but for rear with carrier, the shrockworks looks pretty enticing. The HUGE wait times for shrock is the only thing holding me back...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by finndogg
The one thing that is going to kill me is I live in Hawaii and shipping is KILLER BOOOOO
Originally Posted by JcrOffroad
Weight doesn't matter. Most shipping companies do a thing called "Dimensional weight" which means, no matter the weight, it will be billed at a certain weight based on it's size. Oversized packages is the reason it costs so much to ship bumpers and armor.
I just left Oahu. When I was there, I did most of my ordering through 4 wheel parts. They can get you just about anything for $5 fee, no shipping. Not sure if you have used them or not, but its a great deal. Of course the biggest issue is that you are limited to 4WD and 4wheelparts inventory but still...its $5 bucks. They are in Waipahu.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to go with JCR stubby stinger in the front and their tire carrier in the back. I need them to match (brand), part of my OCD ritually and symmetry. I like the tire carrier over LoD because of the way the rotopax mounts inside the tire. LoDs mounts outside and looks bulky and really big. Its been hard trying to choose but ultimately, after seeing LoDs full rear set-up, it just seems to become the focal point. I'm ready to buy today, just waiting to see if they will be in Dallas on the 20th for the 4 wheel parts Jeep fest. If not, guess I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

I have the LoD front shorty and the rear linked tire carrier and love them. I had one small issue and had a response from LoD the same day and issue was resolved the next day. The finish is prefect so I do not know what the other guys problem with the finish is. The fit was perfect and the install was easy just make sure you have a friend to help for the rear it sure is heavy.

I would not hesitate going with LoD again. I do have PSC brawler rockers and the fit on thoses where perfect too finish was bare steel.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Lod front and rear and they have both served me well. No finish problems. I did wheel a week Moab, and have a noticeble dent in my front bumper from where my fairlead was rammed into a rock bouncing over an obstacle on Metal Masher.

It was a good whack and it's a solid bumper.

I went Lod in front as the Brawler Light was not out when I put it on. I went Lod in the rear to get better protection for the quarters, and on the PSC tire carrier, the tab that locks the tire in place when it swings open does not work with the PSC quarter armor. It seems that when they redesigned the bumper there was a fitment issue with the tab you grip to pull up. I have a buddy with one and and he has a nut in place of the tab to make it work until PSC gets him a new one.

That would have driven me buggy so I went with the Lod, but both are great products
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

poison spider

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Bumpers: Poison Spyder or LOD