Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front in rear brakes gone in just 3.5 years!!!?!?!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front in rear brakes gone in just 3.5 years!!!?!?!

I have a 2007 2 door jk and have been noticing a squeak in my brakes. Now every time I ride, I put the jeep on jack stands, pull the tires off and clean the entire brakes and suspension. I took it to a local shop 2 weeks ago and reviewed the damage with the shop manager and my front and rear rotors were warped and pads were gone front and rear. Now the shop manager told me that in all his years he has never seen a vehicle go through an entire set of brakes in 3.5 years, more like 8-10 years. Now I know what you are thinking: I drove with no pads on the brakes and it warped the rotors. I hadn't pulled the tires off in about a month before I heard the squeak but the pads were fine and rotors un marked. The point is at the first sign of warn brake pads and brought it to the shop immediately, I needed an entire new brake job front and rear. Anyone else have horror stories like this? I can't believe this.....:(
Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I have a 2007 2 door jk and have been noticing a squeak in my brakes. Now every time I ride, I put the jeep on jack stands, pull the tires off and clean the entire brakes and suspension. I took it to a local shop 2 weeks ago and reviewed the damage with the shop manager and my front and rear rotors were warped and pads were gone front and rear. Now the shop manager told me that in all his years he has never seen a vehicle go through an entire set of brakes in 3.5 years, more like 8-10 years. Now I know what you are thinking: I drove with no pads on the brakes and it warped the rotors. I hadn't pulled the tires off in about a month before I heard the squeak but the pads were fine and rotors un marked. The point is at the first sign of warn brake pads and brought it to the shop immediately, I needed an entire new brake job front and rear. Anyone else have horror stories like this? I can't believe this.....:(
It's not years but miles that wears them down, FYI...
Old 01-21-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca

It's not years but miles that wears them down, FYI...
Oh well in that instance my jk is strictly a trail rig. Except for the 1 year I drove it when it was bone stock. I'm just blown away....
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

My rears went out at 18,000 and changed them again at 60,000. Fronts were about half worn at 30, so I changed them anyway.
If yours is a trail rig, esp and traction control really eats pads up off-road, especially in mud and such.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
My rears went out at 18,000 and changed them again at 60,000. Fronts were about half worn at 30, so I changed them anyway.
If yours is a trail rig, esp and traction control really eats pads up off-road, especially in mud and such.
if yours is strictly for trails. turn off ESP permanently with the 'steering wheel dance'. thats what i did for mine. it shuts off all computer input except for ABS
Old 01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

At least brakes and rotors are cheap. Just throw some new ones on and go another 3 years! Better than resurfacing them anyway.

Do you do alot of city driving? Snow? Sand?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

last year, my friend was getting ready to go on gold spike in moab and his rear brake caliper broke in two. his pads were gone (i think, less than 30K miles?). when i got home, i checked mine. mine were almost gone too. the fronts still had 70% after 60k miles. this is my first car (or jeep) that the rear pads went before the front.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

The rear pads are half the size of the fronts, add traction control and bigger tires its no wonder they dont last.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

I did my own pads and rotors at 80,000. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with how long I got out them. Then again...mostly highway miles!

Oh ya...stock tires and wheels..
Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Heavier tires makes it harder to stop

Quick Reply: Front in rear brakes gone in just 3.5 years!!!?!?!