Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front passenger upper control arm bolt

Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front passenger upper control arm bolt

Hi guys,

My 3" FT Ultimate lift came in! WooHoo! I was reading some posts on install experiences and it sounds like the fastest way to remove the front passenger upper control arm is to cut off the rear bolt.

Has anyone removed it without cutting the bolt off? If so, what else did you have to loosen?

For those that cut the bolt off, do you know the size of the bolt? I think I could get a grade 8 bolt cheaper than I can get it from the dealer. What did the dealer charge? Was it in stock or did you wait for it?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by big_thumb
Hi guys,

My 3" FT Ultimate lift came in! WooHoo! I was reading some posts on install experiences and it sounds like the fastest way to remove the front passenger upper control arm is to cut off the rear bolt.

Has anyone removed it without cutting the bolt off? If so, what else did you have to loosen?

For those that cut the bolt off, do you know the size of the bolt? I think I could get a grade 8 bolt cheaper than I can get it from the dealer. What did the dealer charge? Was it in stock or did you wait for it?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
I had to cut it, and so did the handful of other people that I've heard comment on the issue.

Not sure of the size of the bolt, but it's a 10-something grade which I could not find at Home Depot or Napa (when I told the guy at Napa it was for a control arm, he refused to even sell me the 8.8) I just got an 8.8 at Home Depot to get me back on the road, and I ordered a proper one from a dealer. It came the next day. It was $2.71.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

For those too impatient to wait for the dealer to order a new bolt, here is an alternative that worked for me. No going back now! The angle cut didn't damage the bolt and gave me enough room to get past the exhaust.

It would be nice if FT gave you a new grade 10 bolt with the Ultimate kit, since cutting it seems like the best approach.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bolt

forgive my lack of JK know how; BUT;

couldnt you just lift it?

ie by jacks under the frame? Wouldn't that lower the axle, while raising the exaust so you could clear the bolt?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
forgive my lack of JK know how; BUT;

couldnt you just lift it?

ie by jacks under the frame? Wouldn't that lower the axle, while raising the exaust so you could clear the bolt?
Nope, you simply cannot get enough room to remove the bolt. The only way you can do it without cutting it is 1.) to drop the exhaust 2.) remove the bolts securing the engine block to the motor mount and the nuts securing the tranny to the skid and then lifting everything out of the way. I have heard of one guy using a very big pry bar to do something similar to option #2 but I'm not sure if I would recommend it. Cutting the bolt is simple and quick to do and IMHO, the best option
Old 04-18-2007, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default ???

Ok, I have a new set of teraflex control arms that will be going on my JK when i get it (already on order) I didn't realize this one control arm bolt is not so easy to remove but can be done by cutting it off. But, and this may be a stupid ?, if the bolt cannot be removed without having to cut it off then how do you get the new bolt in there when you change control arms?

OBXJK
Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OBXJK
Ok, I have a new set of teraflex control arms that will be going on my JK when i get it (already on order) I didn't realize this one control arm bolt is not so easy to remove but can be done by cutting it off. But, and this may be a stupid ?, if the bolt cannot be removed without having to cut it off then how do you get the new bolt in there when you change control arms?

OBXJK
Easy, reverse the bolt
Old 04-18-2007, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default control arm bolt logic

LOL guess if i had thought about it a little more i might have come to that solution. I do feel stupid but this jk suspension stuff is all new to me and i will have to have a shop do it since i have no garage, tools, etc.

OBXJK
Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Nope, you simply cannot get enough room to remove the bolt. The only way you can do it without cutting it is 1.) to drop the exhaust 2.) remove the bolts securing the engine block to the motor mount and the nuts securing the tranny to the skid and then lifting everything out of the way. I have heard of one guy using a very big pry bar to do something similar to option #2 but I'm not sure if I would recommend it. Cutting the bolt is simple and quick to do and IMHO, the best option
So I'm assuming your write up on the FT 3" Ultimate will start of with something like....."2-3 days before install order a new passenger upper control arm bolt"?

I just ordred mine.

Last edited by CLACKEY(_!_); 04-18-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Easy, reverse the bolt
There is an opening on the outside of the frame that you run the bolt through. Be careful not to drop the bolt or socket into the frame or you'll spend some time fishing it out - trust me.

Quick Reply: Front passenger upper control arm bolt