Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Lower control arms

Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lower control arms

Hello All

I have read several write ups on installing a coil lift w/adjustable control arms. But my question is what if the control arms are going to be installed after the suspension lift has already been done. Would I still need to raise the jeep and have it secured on jack stands? Or can I just install the front lower control arms with the jeep's 4 wheels on the ground? Please advise, thanks in advance....
Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I switched out my front lowers, for adjustables with the jeep on the ground. I did one side at a time and just took a little nudge to get the bolt holes to line up with the new lengths. Not here to say it is the right or the wrong way, but I did it and it worked for me. The jeep rides and steers so much better. Just waiting to get the rears done so I can upgrade my tires.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be careful doing it with the tires on the ground....I've taken one side off at a time (lowers only!) with weight of Jeep on ground, but they are helping to hold that axle to the frame so be careful....and yes the holes can be an absolute bit$% to line up when installing the arms....I've actually had to utilize the weight of the Jeep to help line the holes up, with a little fancy play of a floor jack under the steering knuckles
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Check the 'Setting Your Caster' section here for some more tips on lining up those holes.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

I just bought a second ratchet strap to make this easier on me. Getting the holes to line up can be a major pain in the royal ass.

I like to unbolt one side at a time and attach ratchet straps, one, going from the axle to the bumper, the other going from the axle to the transmission cross member. Then if the eye of the LCA is too far forward, I ratchet the rear strap and it pulls the eye back to line up with the control arm bracket.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did mine last week; I didn't know what was going to happen either. I first tried it with a lift in my shop, which was a pain. When I took them off to adjust them I did it on the ground, piece of cake! Use a floor jack on the front or rear or axle to line up the holes, it's easy.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Going to install terraflex flexarms (lower front) this weekend if the package arrives from northridge.

Can i get away with undoing the bolts with the jeep on the ground? the worry is i only have the stock jack to help me, and i am not that mechanically great

I don't want to start if i cannot finish
Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

You can do it with the JK on the ground but only do one side at a time. Make sure the other side is bolted on before you take off the arm. Use a floor jack or ratchet straps to line up the holes.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by river2c
You can do it with the JK on the ground but only do one side at a time. Make sure the other side is bolted on before you take off the arm. Use a floor jack or ratchet straps to line up the holes.

Thanks. Another member fab1 gave me his number so i called him and he reassured me and talked me through it just waiting for UPS going to set them at 23inches on my terraflex 2.5 coil on a 2dr with 35s.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by river2c
Yeah dont undo both sides, whole front of jeep squats several inches really quickly.

Quick Reply: Front Lower control arms