Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Lower Control Arm Install Questions

Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lower Control Arm Install Questions

Just received my front LCA's from Rock Krawler. I plan to put them in over the next day or so. Does anyone have any helpful hints on getting these in? They look straight forward, as I set the recommended length, lactate the jam nut, and install. Do I need to have the vehicle jacked up in order to install, or can I get in just as easy without? I plan to get an alignment at Goodyear once I have these completed. Will they check the control arms during the alignment or is that something they don't usually mess with?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. I'll be getting the same LCAs soon and interested in the tips too.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I would do one side at a time that way if the axle wants to walk, it cant really.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One recommendation. Do not lactate on the jamnut, that will do no good, use loctite on them instead.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
One recommendation. Do not lactate on the jamnut, that will do no good, use loctite on them instead.
Duly noted. My wife is pregnant so the jam nut has already been lactated. Goes to show you what's been on my brain.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cv2065
Duly noted. My wife is pregnant so the jam nut has already been lactated. Goes to show you what's been on my brain.
Congradulations!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 AM
JK Freak

Too funny... Lactate!!

Any considerations need to be made if you have cam bolts in the front already and switching to adjustables?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty much just go with recommended numbers as a start, what you are doing with just replacing the front lowers you are looking to adj the caster. I am sure you are looking for the target number around 5 degs or so.

make sure you have a angle/deg finder forget what they are called off the top of my head but they are cheep at sears, i got mine for 8 bucks i think. toss in your lowers (one at a time, may need a jack to get the new longer arms in..put in the axle side first, then jack up the frame as needed to get frame bolt in was the fastest way i did it)

..make sure you loosen up your uppers to make sure there is no binding..some say do it, some say not..but i always do when working on front or rear and never had any issues...with DW

once you get them in, and have bounced up and down on the front, check the caster on the right and left side with angel finder. if it is not at your target number, then adjust lowers as needed to get it where you want it....once complete lock down your arm bolts, 125 for the 21mm and 75 for the upper 18mm bolts and then locktight your jam nuts..and enjoy your new jeep tracking like a jet, and not wondering around the road like a 1970 VW bug.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hneiper
Too funny... Lactate!!

Any considerations need to be made if you have cam bolts in the front already and switching to adjustables?
not sure but i think you should reweld them up from getting cut for the cam bolts....
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the thread!! I too will be doing my RK lowers this weekend or next.

Quick Reply: Front Lower Control Arm Install Questions