Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Inner Axle Seal Install Questions

Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Inner Axle Seal Install Questions

New to the forum - if this question has already been asked I'm sorry.

I'm building a dana 44 with J8 tubes and will have an arb rd157 locker. I have ordered special inner axle seals to fit the 35 spline shafts (1.5625" I.D.). However, I have not ordered the axle shafts yet.

My question is when installing the inner axle seals how far do you seat them? Where the back of the seal is against the flange? I have also seen people say install until front of axle seal is flush with the end of the corner break. What is the correct depth? I have attached a picture to help illustrate.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2019, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

There's going to be a lip on that seal that is going to stop at the corner break. Install until you can't press it further without feeling like you have to gorilla arm it.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
There's going to be a lip on that seal that is going to stop at the corner break. Install until you can't press it further without feeling like you have to gorilla arm it.
Hmm. There is not a lip on the seals that I have. I am using national 473517 which I have read in other forums is the correct seal for 35 spline shafts. Here is a picture of the seal I will be using.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

well, I see why you're asking now. I don't have experience installing that seal myself, but based on installing several factory seals, I don't think it's going to matter a whole lot. as long as it's flush to that corner break, it's going to have full contact on the outter edge of the seal. If you went a little past the corner break I don't think it would make a huge difference, but I would stop flush at the edge if it were me.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the advice! I will press it in so that way it is flush or just past the corner break of the housing.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

just press it in flush, put a little RTV around it before you press it in.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome! Thanks. I will install it that way!

Quick Reply: Front Inner Axle Seal Install Questions