Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front end rattle.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
I'd check the upper & lower bushings on the front shocks to see if any bushings are bad.

I'd also check to make sure the nuts on the top of the front shocks are tight.

Finally, I'd double check to make sure the top bushings & washers on the front shocks were properly installed.

When I brought it back into the garage to find the rattle in the first place, they said everything was tight and good to go.

Since the shocks are blown, I'll wait for the new ones to come in, change them, and then hunt for the rattle.

I will check the heat sheild tonight just to be sure though.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGeneral
Is the heatsheild located more on the drivers side?

should I remove or see if I can tighten? (I have read this in a few other threads on here, but no one seemed to give an answer)

Thanks,
Look under your driver side directly above your exhaust, that's the main one that gives rattles, it could be loose or a part of it bent touching something. The manifold heat sheilds can also rattle sometimes.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have someone go to each fender while you're in the driver seat and give each fender a "bump". Mine was rattling like that and it was the fenders rattling against the body.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Well, it doesnt seem to be the heat shield....

its more of a clunk than a constant rattle......

seems like its something near the driver side wheel, but according to a garage the suspension was tight.

to be honest, you know that clank when you put in the clutch in 4-low? kinda like metal slapping againt metal?? it sounds like that, but from the front wheel area. (brake lines are tight as well, as far as I can tell.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

You know I have got the same thing going on and I can't figure it out? I thought for sure it was my adjustable lower control arm but not so sure anymore...If I figure it out I'll let you know!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgive the hijack but how does one tell if a shock bushing is bad, it's just a rubber or poly puck how would it go bad?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

hrmm... i am still having no luck with this, and it drives me nuts....makes me fee like i am driving a POS ....... LOL
Old 07-22-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rattle

I had a problem like this. The after market bump stops inside the bottom of my front coil springs were loose and rattled against the coil springs when I hit bumps. I tigtened them and the problem was solved. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the idea, check it, and it doesnt move.....and by hand i cant tighten it at all LOL.....

but a tap with a hammer doesnt move the bumpstop.....
Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Alright.....so turns out the shop i went into who said eveything was "A-OK" and that I should know better because I have been driving offroad, and hearing rattles, didnt check my shocks, and thats actually what was causing the rattle.

So..... Problem is fixed.

Quick Reply: Front end rattle.