Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front end Noise

Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end Noise

About a month after regearing I started to get a rattle or a loud tic coming from the drive shaft area or front differential. I've tried pulling the wheels off checking all the nuts and bolts on the lift. Still can't figure it out I hear it when I hit about 30 mph and up. I've also tried killing the engine while rolling down hill and the noise is still there. Is this a result of a bad u joint or drive shaft. Also could hit be a bad wheel bearing. I'm lost. The shop that did the regearing said the gears look fine to them. Any info would be great
Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 AM
JK Junkie

Start by spinning each tire of the ground. Tic is usually associated with a u-joint

your forum admin may override this setting.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Start by spinning each tire of the ground. Tic is usually associated with a u-joint your forum admin may override this setting.
yea I tried spinning the tires couldn't get it to do it. It's gotta be rolling at 30 mph to start making the noise. Would a bad u joint do it. It almost sounds like a card in a bicycle spoke.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:56 AM
JK Junkie

I should have said wiggle the tire (unit bearing)
Lifting up (ball joints)
In park, try putting your hand over the u-joint and rocking the jeep by the tire. Feel for play.
Driveshaft u-joint is easy to check.
A bad CV will sling grease.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I should have said wiggle the tire (unit bearing) Lifting up (ball joints) In park, try putting your hand over the u-joint and rocking the jeep by the tire. Feel for play. Driveshaft u-joint is easy to check. A bad CV will sling grease.
yeah I can hear a click when I wiggle the wheel back and forth. I know I'm going to need to replace my ball joints but I don't think it's coming from them
Old 04-22-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any other suggestions. I

Quick Reply: Front end Noise