Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front end fluttering/grinding sound

Old 01-01-2016, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end fluttering/grinding sound

Sorry if there is a thread on this already, but I couldn't find one that describes my issue. When idling at low speeds and on slow takeoffs I hear a fluttering grind type sound that slightly vibrates my gas pedal. It only lasts less than a second until my RPMs go up and the sound comes from the front end. I have an '11 JKU Rubicon automatic transmission, Cooper Discoverer STT tires, I know it's not the mud tires on the pavement. No other issues going on just trying to figure out what might be going on. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1643954649.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	579.6 KB
ID:	633347  
Old 01-02-2016, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You opened up the front dif cover and inspected your gears for wear? I just had mine regeared because of that sound. Had 4:10's and went up to 4:56 because of the 35" tires.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't yet, I'm planning to do that in the next few days, I'm hoping that's not the issue. Is it difficult to re gear yourself?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by basstracker270
Is it difficult to re gear yourself?
Define 'difficult'. Many seasoned professional mechanics pay to have their gears done, but with the specialty tools and some patience, it has been done by novices.

A how-to from a few years back:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/
Old 01-02-2016, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it as my daily driver, so I paid for it ($2K) Word is you can get it done for 1/2 the price around here. I was contemplating on doing it over the weekend. The stress of getting it done... Thinking now... You don't have to do them both at the same time (if regearing), if don't 4 wheel it meanwhile.

Personally, I would have liked to get the task under my belt of experience. So do what you will and put the money toward the specialty tools and come out ahead of the game.

PS: Drop the front drive shaft, would tell you if the noise changes a little bit.

Last edited by JK08MCS; 01-02-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Define 'difficult'. Many seasoned professional mechanics pay to have their gears done, but with the specialty tools and some patience, it has been done by novices. A how-to from a few years back: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/
Shoot, check my build, I don't do gears. The time and cost for proper tools just isn't worth it. Plus, the shop will warranty the work. In my area it's $1500 all in for a front and rear regear with warranty. I'd pay that all day long to not have to deal with the install. It amazes me what people will pay for and then try and do themselves. I built corner armor in half a day for $100 and people spend multiples of that to buy it. Skids? Spent $30 in steel to make them and people pay hundreds to over a thousand. I'm not saying people can't figure gears out, but shoot, gears are far more difficult that 99% of other mods that people piss a ton of money into.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I call bullshit on not worth the time. I paid $570 for Yukon front and rear master overhaul kits with no question asked lifetime warranty on the ring and pinion. The tools needed to do it properly are maybe another $500 and you'll have them for life. If you like to pay people to do shit you could just as easily learn yourself then yeah, be like the rest of the guys who warn everyone it's a impossible to do yourself just like they say you Dana 30 will explode within an inch of off-road with 35s while the most theirs has been was the grass parking at the last half marathon they attended. You think everyone who knows how to do gears was born knowing how? No, they learned. I'd take a guess and say most people just picked some shit up and did it.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Did my own. It's not rocket science. That being said we have the tools and all the set up bearings and now a list of others who want to learn how. I make some cash while helping someone learn how. Won't take more the 2 of those and my stuff is paid for.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

UPDATE!! Discovered what the problem was when I inspected thoroughly. The exhaust is all aftermarket and the exhaust pipe behind the catalytic converter is laying on a brace in the undercarriage and at low RPM the exhaust pipe rattled against that brace causing the noise. Will have to lift the exhaust with better hangers to rid myself of the annoying rattle. Thanks for everybody's help. I'll post pics of what I'm talking about in case anyone else has the same issue.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Pictures of the pipe laying across the metal brace
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-323173332.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	634968   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4030264717.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	389.7 KB