Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front end "clunk" noise on my '13

Old 07-14-2014, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end "clunk" noise on my '13

Hello all,

I have an issue to help resolve as it's a safety concern to me as I am making a 1,000 mile road trip in two weeks.

Background:
2013 two door sport
3.21- 35's, 2.5" TF BB
Nothing else aftermarket
17,000 miles just hit

Issue:
Just noticed this a while back, especially when turning into my driveway from the street.
I will say I am not having DW but just minor bump steer as expected with larger tires.

When I go over a bump or something similar, there is a clunk in my front end area. I checked the tie rod and it rotates like it should and it does make a clunk sound but I hear that's normal. I moved and shook everything in that area and it all seems tight except the rotation of the tie rod.

I was advised to grease the tie rod, which I have yet to do, and maybe replace the tie rod ends? Also, there might be an a/c component that may be causing this, but I doubt this as it seems more of a heavy clunk. Any ideas??

Thank you all in advance for the help. Please note, I am not a master mechanic, so dumb it down if you can. Noob asking a possibly dumb question.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you rechecked your sway bar links? I had the mine come loose after a few weeks and it caused similar clunking noise as you described.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Make sure your shocks are tight as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2014, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

I would definitely check the sway bar links. I had the same issue; everything seemed tight when trying to shake it, but as soon as you put a wrench on it you will probably be able to get a few turns.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
Have you rechecked your sway bar links? I had the mine come loose after a few weeks and it caused similar clunking noise as you described.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
This mine were my sway bar links. They kept coming loose and touching the frame when I would go over bumps. Got tired of it happening so I'm ordering some new ones.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Definitely grease everything up good first and drive around. You might want to re-torque everything that was modified by the lift.

I had a TF rear shock with a bushing eye that was slightly too large. It would clunk. The way we found it was shaking the crap out of the jeep with friends and listening/feeling carefully. My solution once I found this was my cause, toss a grade 8 bolt in, tighten it down, and ignore it.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another possibility is a control or track bar bolt hole has wallowed out, allowing the bolt to clunk back and forth. Regardless, you should replace all the CA and TB hardware with shouldered 9/16 ($40 kit from Northridge4x4).

Quick Reply: Front end "clunk" noise on my '13