Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front end clunk driving me nuts! Please help!

Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunk driving me nuts! Please help!

I am sure you all have been there... This clunk has lasted for months and I have no clue what is causing it.

Seems to be coming from the front passenger side, and most often happens when I hit bumps at an angle. I can re-create the clunk by driving the front right wheel up onto a rounded curb, then roll off. Here is the weird part - I can also often re-create the clunk by pumping the brakes as I come to a stop (after about 5-10 pumps at low speed (even very low speed, barely moving), I start hearing the clunk and I honestly think I can feel it in the brake pedal and steering wheel too. At first I was wondering if the clunk was coming from pumping the brakes or from the suspension cycling, and now I am leaning toward thinking it may be more brake related because when I pump the brakes at low speed and hear the clunk, the suspension is barely moving.

I had a worn front axle U joint so had those replaced - that seemed to lessen the amount I hear the clunk while going over bumps, but I could be imagining that. I have also had a dealer go through and make sure everything is tight (they robbed me and found nothing of course). I can jump up and down on the door frame and really get the jeep rocking, and I don't hear a thing. Its hard to recreate the clunk without actually driving it. I want to try to take a video - I know that would help a lot.

Any help greatly appreciated - this is driving me nuts! I used to have issues with death wobble back in the day, so any clunks always make me nervous that something critical may be loose. As of now, the Jeep drives perfectly smooth on the highway at high speeds and I never hear the clunk then. Its always at low speeds through parking lots, over curbs, coming to a stop, etc. Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to make sure your shocks (especially the top) are all tightened down and look/check the CV joints of your drive shafts assuming you're still using stock drive shafts....

Old 03-19-2017, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
Check to make sure your shocks (especially the top) are all tightened down and look/check the CV joints of your drive shafts assuming you're still using stock drive shafts....

I will check the top of the shocks and the drive shafts - thanks! Quick question, what is the best way to check the CV joint in the shaft without having the ability to lift the jeep up
Old 03-19-2017, 02:30 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that pretty much depends on how skinny you are and if you have a lift/larger tires or not....

Refer to this recent thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ay-out-341006/

Didn't the dealer notice/replicate the "clunk" after tightening everything down and taking it for a spin in the parking lot?

Last edited by DJ1; 03-19-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm interested, I've had the same exactly noise for about 8 months ha. It was completely stock just before I lifted it and it started it. I notice it on pot holes n stuff. Installed lift kit, ball joints, tie rod, drag link, new drive shafts, control arms, shocks. Still the same noise, I've done all the work myself and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Like he said only really square edge bumps and when i slam on the breaks really hard. My sector shaft is tight. I gave up on it. I hope one day what ever it is just breaks lol.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever figure out what this issue was?

Quick Reply: Front end clunk driving me nuts! Please help!