Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front end & Cage upgrade help

Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 PM
jpn
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since no one else will speak up I will.....

Ditch the D30....

Yeah as stated $20k and d30....consider addressing the axle....at least a d44 quit the looks and go for the function...
Nothing blows more than. A unprepared wheeler....got a amazing rig but running drive train not up to the task because its not visible...
Old 08-05-2014, 01:13 AM
JK Freak

would a d44 not have been cheaper then all the work and parts you put into that d30? or even a d60
Old 08-05-2014, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deserteagle83
With the drag link and trackbar being so high up do you think that is a needed expense? My last couple of times out I dinged my tierod up pretty good... Not even a scratch on my draglink or trackbar.

I'm currently running a 4" short arm lift so I doubt I will need to flip my drag link. Not currently planning hydro, the jeep is still a DD that the wife drives on occasion.

I'm a noob, and I don't have a Rubi transfer case. So I probably use too much speed and not enough finesse. Honestly if I ditch my stock D30, I have no clue what I would do. I hear a lot of people recommending ditching my 30, but I don't hear of a lot of breakages to 30's that people have built the way I am thinking of building mine.
You have to run a flipped draglink with the reid knuckles.

I broke 3 shafts and twisted another. They were Usa made chromoly shafts not factory or Chinese chromoly ones. Broke a Detroit locker case and a 4.88 ring and pinion on 35's. That is why I don't recommend building a d30. Not because I read it somewhere on the internet.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
would a d44 not have been cheaper then all the work and parts you put into that d30? or even a d60
at the moment, no. Locker, chromoly's and upgraded ball joints are it currently has. Would have had to do that anyway with a 44 or 60.

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I am tying to figure out how you spent $20k on parts and still have a stock dana 30? I would agree with others not to waste a dime on the dana 30. And yes there are several example on the forums of broken axle tubes, busted ujoints, sheared teeth, and broken spider gears on the 30 . At least jeep decided to give us shit for hp so the stock axles do hold up rather good.
It can happen
  • Rough Country 4" X-series lift with adjustable upper and lower front and rear control arms
  • 4.56 gears front & rear
  • Aussie Locker up front with chromoly shafts on D30
  • Hutchinson Rock Monster Wheels 17x8
  • Fierce attitude tires 35x12.50
  • Ace rocksliders
  • Uniden CB radio
  • Grenade Shift Knob
  • SPOD accessory wiring control box
  • LED truck lite headlights
  • LED bumper and windshield accessory lighting
  • LED fog lights
  • Trek Armor Seat Covers
  • Under seat lock box
  • Bully Dog Gas Gt tuner with display module
  • Steel Grab Handles front and rear
  • Poison Spyder Hood louver
  • Best top Trek Top NX
  • Can Cam gas gan storage on rear of jeep
  • JCR front crusader bumper
  • warn 9.5 winch
  • Jeeperman Rear Bumper with tire mount
  • Rough Country Dual steering stablizers
  • Riddler Differential Covers
  • Complete Evolution Offroad underbody Skid plate Protection
  • Magna Flow exhaust
  • Spec after market Clutch
  • Arb air locker in rear
  • bilstien shocks
  • AEV snorkel
  • Gen right Steel Fenders

Last edited by Deserteagle83; 08-05-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just can't get over the sunk cost 'logical fallacy'. In my mind I've already spent it so I don't have to spend it again.
I love irony.

I'm a noob
How many people came here and gave you he exact same advice? Even those fantasizing with the idea have told you to do otherwise.

You are looking for validation. Validation of a bad idea. Only those that haven't a clue will validate your ideas.

Again.... good luck.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ABENDX

You are looking for validation. Validation of a bad idea. Only those that haven't a clue will validate your ideas.

Again.... good luck.
Lets just imagine that no matter how good of an idea it is to upgrade to a 44 or 60 that I don't want to do it. The only option that I want to consider currently is beefing up my 30. Not even if they were giving away free gold bars with every new dana44 purchase would I consider spending that money right now. Now if necessity dictates an axle upgrade due to breakage, then that's a different story. If that means that I'll spend twice, then so be it. For less than a grand, I can have a relatively stout D30 when considering what's already been done to it. (minus the insanely expensive RCV's of-course) That should buy me time to look at my 44/60 options. Not to mention the fact that this is all preventative. I don't think that my wheeling style or frequency dictates the money required for an axle swap.

If the best advice for upgrading my D30 is: "don't do it". Then so be it. I came on here soliciting advice and that's what i'm getting. It may appear that i'm not listening to the guys that have "been around the block" but I am. However At this current time the ONLY option that i'm considering is finishing my D30 upgrade. Unless of-course someone is GIVING me a 44 or 60 housing.

If I already had a front Rubicon axle then this would be another story. My locker, gears, and axle shafts would be swappable to a new beefier housing... Hell... For that matter I would probably just gusset and brace it and call it a day. But the fact that i have a 30 means that I'd have to start from scratch. When accounting for college savings for twins two mortgages, etc... That's just not smart money currently. Atleast I don't think it is.

Last edited by Deserteagle83; 08-05-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

So your only option is to upgrade the d30? If my options were to beef up a d30 or leave it be and just run it as stock I would just leave it stock. Throwing money into that axle has all most no benefit and will be worth nothing but scrap if you ever decide to swap to something else. You already have a locker and cromoly shafts, go out and run it.

Quick Reply: Front end & Cage upgrade help