Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front end & Cage upgrade help

Old 08-04-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spedly
All that high steer stuff you listed is for tj's. They don't have high steer arms for the jk reid knuckles.
I'm pretty sure it's all for JK's. Links are below. Have you checked out Artec's stuff lately?

Reid racing conversion knuckle high steer arms$169.98 http://www.artecindustries.com/Reid-...rms_p_411.html

Reid racing D30 conversion Knuckle $279.00 x 2 http://www.artecindustries.com/Reid-...kle_p_128.html

Last edited by Deserteagle83; 08-04-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Your links are for pre-JK front ends.

to provide Heavy Duty Crossover Steering for your TJ, LJ, XJ, or ZJ.
Fits YJ, TJ, XJ, WJ, ZJ, and MJ Dana 30 axles and TJ Rubicon Dana 44 axles.
The front JK D30 and D44 use the same basic housing. Same length, tube diameter, tube thickness, C's, brackets, knuckles, hubs, brakes, etc. The differences are internal.

The JK is also already set up with 'crossover' steering. You could look at the synergy drag link and trackbar also, if you want to beef those up. And depending on lift height and needs, they have a popular flip setup and an upper trackbar/sector shaft brace. If you aren't going hydro, anyway.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-04-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Your links are for pre-JK front housings.

The front JK D30 and D44 use the same basic housing. Same length, tube diameter, tube thickness, C's, brackets, etc. The differences are internal.

The JK is also already set up with 'crossover' steering. You could look at the synergy drag link and trackbar also, if you want to beef those up. And depending on lift height and needs, they have a good flip setup and an upper trackbar/sector shaft brace. If you aren't going hydro, anyway.
You are correct. I posted the wrong link to the knuckle. Thanks for the catch. Just fixed that. Posted below as well.

Reid Racing Heavy Duty JK Knuckle

Last edited by Deserteagle83; 08-04-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shit if i were going 37s or 40s i wouldnt even waste money on a 44 front, but it really depends on how you wheel and what type of wheeling. Im sure for 96% of people a d44 and 40s is fine sadly.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

The JK is also already set up with 'crossover' steering. You could look at the synergy drag link and trackbar also, if you want to beef those up. And depending on lift height and needs, they have a popular flip setup and an upper trackbar/sector shaft brace. If you aren't going hydro, anyway.
With the drag link and trackbar being so high up do you think that is a needed expense? My last couple of times out I dinged my tierod up pretty good... Not even a scratch on my draglink or trackbar.

I'm currently running a 4" short arm lift so I doubt I will need to flip my drag link. Not currently planning hydro, the jeep is still a DD that the wife drives on occasion.

Originally Posted by Maertz
shit if i were going 37s or 40s i wouldnt even waste money on a 44 front, but it really depends on how you wheel and what type of wheeling. Im sure for 96% of people a d44 and 40s is fine sadly.
I'm a noob, and I don't have a Rubi transfer case. So I probably use too much speed and not enough finesse. Honestly if I ditch my stock D30, I have no clue what I would do. I hear a lot of people recommending ditching my 30, but I don't hear of a lot of breakages to 30's that people have built the way I am thinking of building mine.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

edited... bolt kit for TJ's/pre-JK

Last edited by Deserteagle83; 08-04-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

My comment about the flip was made before I thought about the JK Reid knuckles, since they move the drag link up. One of the notes for those knuckles says you need an adjustable draglink. Is a raised trackbar bracket part of the artec setup? If not, add it to the list since you want the trackbar and draglink to remain roughly parallel. That also means you just might need an adjustable trackbar, for the same reason you will need the draglink.

That bolt kit is for the pre-JK's that use their high steer arms. No idea if it would be of any use.

But, before you get too far into this, add up all of the costs (parts + labor) and compare it to any of the 60's on the market, or at least a PR44/Tera44. As one of the links I posted shows, you just might be surprised at what you come up with.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-04-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

But, before you get too far into this, add up all of the costs (parts + labor) and compare it to any of the 60's on the market, or at least a PR44/Tera44. As one of the links I posted shows, you just might be surprised at what you come up with.
Just went to Northridge and specked out a prorock44.
ARB air locker (I already have an Aussie), Synergy ball joints (already have), 4.56 gears (already have), RCV's, Reid knuckles. Total cost $5,630.00 That's about $3,500 more than what i'm planning on spending on my 30.

(i just can't get over the sunk cost 'logical fallacy'. In my mind I've already spent it so I don't have to spend it again.)

Thanks for the help BTW. I might do everything else i planned and leave out the RCV's. Truss and C-gusset it, and then do all of the steering upgrades that would transfer over to a terra44 or prorock.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Yeah, I understand the monetary aspect. But the end product would actually be the strength you are looking for, without the worry of the tiny little d30 gear set that may, or may not, or may implode, and you would be selling a 'built' d30 to help offset some of that cost.

The built-in caster correction is another nice benefit of those housings over the stock housings that many people overlook. Maybe not a huge deal, but I like having it.

Anyway, just food for thought. Doesn't hurt anything to list it all out and do a comparison.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-04-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I am tying to figure out how you spent $20k on parts and still have a stock dana 30? I would agree with others not to waste a dime on the dana 30. And yes there are several example on the forums of broken axle tubes, busted ujoints, sheared teeth, and broken spider gears on the 30 . At least jeep decided to give us shit for hp so the stock axles do hold up rather good.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 08-04-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Front end & Cage upgrade help