Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front end & Cage upgrade help

Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end (D30) & Cage upgrade help

I need help planning my next line of upgrades. As she sits now there's about 20k in parts alone dropped into her. I want to make the best decision for the next couple of grand that she's gonna see. Hopefully with this round she will be complete.

Jeep upgrade list
  1. RiverRaider JK weld-in sport cage kit
  2. Artec industries D30 axle truss & sleeve & gussets $249.99
  3. Synergy chromoly tie ROD $325.00
  4. Reid racing conversion knuckle high steer arms$169.98
  5. D30 conversion knuckle bolt kit $49.99
  6. Reid racing D30 conversion Knuckle $279.00 x 2
  7. Artec rear axle truss $149.99
  8. ORO air operated sway-loc $888.99

I'm already too far invested in my D30 to abandon in. (Chromoly axle shafts, upgraded ball joints, aussie locker, 4.56 gears) The goal is to build a bulletproof 30 hence the abundance of work being done on the front axle. Anything i need to change from the above?

Next is the cage. I plan on doing a good bit of wheeling and i recently had twins. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I supplemented the stock cage with river raiders cage. I saw their work first hand at the All Breeds jeep show and I was impressed with them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	569408Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	569409Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	569410

Last edited by Deserteagle83; 08-04-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are throwing money at a future headache.

Ditch the 30.... and swallow the loss. It is impossible to build a "bulletproof" d30.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ABENDX
You are throwing money at a future headache.

Ditch the 30.... and swallow the loss. It is impossible to build a "bulletproof" d30.
I've heard the same before. I figure with the Chromoly's, RCV's, C-Gussets, and a truss that the one weak point would be the R&P (especially considering the gear change to 4.56's). I wheel maybe once a month and I only run 35's. (I see 37's or 40's in my future)

I'm fishing for info here from more experienced off-roaders, so that a few months/years down the road i don't regret the route that I took. Are there actually a lot of reported busted D30 R&P's? With my planned build my thought process leads me to believe that the likelyhood of me breaking one is low.

Last edited by Deserteagle83; 08-04-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

I just noticed that Artec has a JK 1 TON - Front Dana 60 swap kit in production. That's a considerable option to start a junkyard build project. That COULD be another possible avenue for me. I just see it winding up being overkill and a lot more expensive. Not to mention the fact that I can't weld so I'd be farming all the labor out (which will add to my cost) I'm not building a KOH rig. This jeep is my DD, and my weekend fun. My goal is to be able to drive to the trails, wheel, and then drive back home, all the while still being able to save to put my kids through college.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

All that high steer stuff you listed is for tj's. They don't have high steer arms for the jk reid knuckles. I'd look into the synergy cage if you want a weld on addition. The river raider isn't designed very well. If you do some research on cage design you will see why I say that.

I wouldn't put money into the Dana 30 if 37s or 40s may be in your future.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserteagle83
I've heard the same before. I figure with the Chromoly's, RCV's, C-Gussets, and a truss that the one weak point would be the R&P (especially considering the gear change to 4.56's). I wheel maybe once a month and I only run 35's. (I see 37's or 40's in my future)

I'm fishing for info here from more experienced off-roaders, so that a few months/years down the road i don't regret the route that I took. Are there actually a lot of reported busted D30 R&P's? With my planned build my thought process leads me to believe that the likelyhood of me breaking one is low.
I am sure that you had, but since you were planning on walking that road and were asking. The beef you'd put into that axle is great.... it will still break, sooner rather than later, and surely at a time that will cause you the biggest headache. Then there is always the rep you will get when you've ruined everyone's day with a broken axle that should have never been on the trail in the first place (you did say 37+)... come on, you want wheeling buddies, right?

Sorry I bit the bait... maybe someone that's more experienced than I will come help you. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm already too far invested in my D30 to abandon in. (Chromoly axle shafts, upgraded ball joints, aussie locker, 4.56 gears) The goal is to build a bulletproof 30 hence the abundance of work being done on the front axle. Anything i need to change from the above?
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/com...ct-stupid.html

How the Sunk Cost Fallacy Makes You Act Stupid
COMMUNICATION MOTIVATION BY MICHAEL DAVIDSON | 1K SHARES

Do you think you make smart, rational decisions most of the time?

Chances are good that even if you pride yourself on being rational most of the time, you still occasionally fall for the sunk cost fallacy.
If you are wheeling hard enough to think you need a cage, you need to replace your D30.

If you think your D30 will hold up to your wheeling, then you don't need a cage.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm with the other guys, sell it and upgrade.

But for what it's worth...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...-tires-252451/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...a-30-a-258157/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-build-274896/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...thread-259387/
Old 08-04-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ABENDX

Sorry I bit the bait... maybe someone that's more experienced than I will come help you. Good luck.
I think you took what I said the wrong way. I wasn't saying more experienced than YOU... I was saying more experienced than I AM. I appreciate your input. I'm not on here for arguing or drama. I'm seeking info from community members that have been there and done that.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Roryslife

If you are wheeling hard enough to think you need a cage, you need to replace your D30.

If you think your D30 will hold up to your wheeling, then you don't need a cage.
Seems like sound advice.

Quick Reply: Front end & Cage upgrade help