Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front ELocker use

Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front ELocker use

Sorry to ask these dumbass questions but........

I have a d44 w/ elocker in the front of my Sahara. I finally wired the locker through a relay. What happens if you turn on the elocker when in 2WD? When should you turn the elocker on? (only when 4WD has been engaged? Do you have to be in neutral and stopped?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you do not have to be stopped or in neutral. i would not be going fast when you engage it though. you won't engage it in two wheel drive cause it will be of no use unless in four wheel.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codysanders
you do not have to be stopped or in neutral. i would not be going fast when you engage it though. you won't engage it in two wheel drive cause it will be of no use unless in four wheel.
What happens if you do engage it in 2wd? Reason I ask... Just hooked up the elocker and put the jeep in 4wd (1st time since getting new gearing in the rear). Well, the front acts like it's in 4wd (even if off). I confirmed the elocker switch operation, but the sensor doesn't act like the elocker is on.

I'm thinking something is wrong here, but what. Acts like 4wd when 2wd is selected.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like your locker is still engaged. With the elockers in the rubicons, they will only engage when grounded. If it feels like its in 4wd (limited turning) when in 2wd with either switch position i would go over the wiring again
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PartySnake
it sounds like your locker is still engaged. With the elockers in the rubicons, they will only engage when grounded. If it feels like its in 4wd (limited turning) when in 2wd with either switch position i would go over the wiring again
I removed power to the elocker. I also checked the engagement sensor for the elocker. It measures an open. My understanding is that when the locker is engaged, the engagement sensor will be shorted. I guess it's possible that the locker engaged when power was applied, but will not dis-engage. But wouldn't the sensor show that?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

D30 axle here with an Auburn e-locker. When it stayed engaged a few weeks back I had to make some figure eights rolling backwards on pavement in order to get it to release. I also managed to burn up my power steering pump driving it on the pavement for ten miles because I couldn't get it to release until someone here on the forum suggested that. That's a $170 part ($50 core fee), so do be careful until you get it taken care of.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You should only use the lockers when you need them in a tough climb or to get over or thru an obstacle. I will turn mine on when I am stopped. You should not use them on dry pavement. It doesn't matter if you are in 2 or 4 wd the locker will act the same, your wheels will be locked together and will turn at the same speed, your steering will be hard to turn unless you are in loose material.

Is this a rubicon axle? Did you get the rubicon wire harness? Is there power to the sensor? How did you wire it?
This is a rubicon axle. I used the plugs off the mopar wiring harness and spliced wires onto it. The power to the elocker is switched thru a relay. The sensor is not hooked up at this time, but I connected a DVM onto the wires to measure the resistance between the 2 wires. Open = elocker off, short = elocker engaged (at least that's how I understand it should work).

Quick Reply: Front ELocker use