Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front DS yoke

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Front DS yoke

Does anyone offhand know if the slinger/shield on the OEM front drive shaft yoke on the transfer case is supposed to be pulled off and pressed back on the new yoke when replacing it with the new one supplied by Tom Woods? I loaned out my Vernier calipers so I can't even measure the two yokes to see if it would fit. If no one knows, I'll just have to call them in a couple hours when they open. I was just hoping to get it done..... NOW! Thanks in advance. Terry

A pic of the shield I'm talking about for those that aren't sure. >>

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	front yoke.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	25028  
Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i swapped my front drive shaft i could not get the old one pressed on the new one there was NO way it was going to fit called dave at north ridge he said you can leave it off. so i left my off.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm Correct me if I'm wrong, but, it looks like Northridge uses "Coast Driveline" to make their shafts? I wonder if they and Woods both use a spicer transfer case yoke? One of the advertising claims from Tom Woods says they make their own yokes.... but I wonder if they are refering to just the pinion yoke? Because they look the same when I checked the Northridge site's pic. >

Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just installed Je Reel 1350's. Jim at JE Reel said the flanges are machined to be used w/o the dust caps. Before I knew that I was able to put the one on the front axle but want able to get the t-case ones to fit. Some say they hear rattling when they installed one on the front axle.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok. I emailed them at Tom Woods and they called me back and told me it is not used. I was surprised they called so soon. Thanks again Offroadme.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
We just installed Je Reel 1350's. Jim at JE Reel said the flanges are machined to be used w/o the dust caps. Before I knew that I was able to put the one on the front axle but want able to get the t-case ones to fit. Some say they hear rattling when they installed one on the front axle.
Yeah, the rep from Woods said that Chrysler puts that shield on there to adapt an existing yoke to the NVG transfer case seal. NVG originally designed it for a spicer yoke so that's what most aftermarket DS companies are using.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, so maybe I need to change something. I just installed my 1350 front Woods shaft last night. I got the front shield on with little effort. There was no way in hell the transfer case shield was going to fit on the yoke.

So, do I need to remove the front shield now? I woke up this morning thinking that if the transfer case shield won't fit on the yoke then the new yoke is bigger than the stock one. My fear was then will the bigger yoke freak out the stock transfer case seal?

I need to have the shaft on for my custom exhaust which is being done Tuesday so I am trying to get this figured out before it's driven. It's Sunday so there isn't any phone support so I am digging here.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheMike; 09-14-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed my Tom Woods front drive shaft and I did NOT re-use the shield from the transfer case flange on the new yolk provided for the transfer case.

However, I did re-use the shield from the front differential flange on the new front differential flange provided by with the new drive shaft. It came off the old one easily (took it slow and got it off a little at a time as to avoid damaging it) and it slid right onto the new one. It fit like a glove.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also just recently installed (last week) a new front drive shaft with new t-case yolk and adapter at the diff. I was also concerned and thought I should have that dust shield on the new yolk as it seems somewhat exposed at the union between the yolk and t-case output. However, I called the local 4x4 shop as well as the company that made my shaft (local) and the both said the dust cap is not necessary as the new yolk is supposed to be an exact fit into the output of the t-case. BTW, the shop that made my shaft uses all Spicer components.

Hope you're getting the answers you need.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Ref my post above: I got a call today from Tom Woods. Awesome service this guy provides. Anywho, he doesn't ever run either shield and there's no way the transfer case shield will fit on the new yoke. The oiginal shield actually goes into the seal with the yoke. The new yoke is made bigger to compensate for the lack of a shield. All is well with the world!

If you get the front one off and back on with no problems, it's ok to run it. He's under the impression that they actually hold in dirt and stuff so doesn't like them to begin with. Run the front one if you want or not. Your choice. As to the noise some complain of, that's caused by minor damage to the shield when either removing it off of the original yoke or installing it on the new. Nuff said there so it's all personal preference.

Giddy-up!

Quick Reply: Front DS yoke