Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front driveshaft vibration

Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front driveshaft vibration

So, if I took off my aftermarket Tom Woods front driveshaft which seemed to be vibrating at 70 after I put my hard top on (maybe I didn't hear or feel it with the soft top, and weird right?), but took it off and smooth through 90/100. Put my stock driveshaft back on and vibrates at 82. Are both these driveshafts hosed or maybe my transfer case is damaged?

Anyone encounter this?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

I wouldn't make the assumption it's drivetrain. I had similar issues, and after I rotated my wheels, it went away. It seems like it may not be the driveshaft when you swap out and are still having the issue.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thing is, the vibration completely goes away (smooth as could be) when I remove the driveshaft entirely. So it's definitely not the tires.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by chripczuk
Thing is, the vibration completely goes away (smooth as could be) when I remove the driveshaft entirely. So it's definitely not the tires.
If you have front adjustable control arms, you may have to play with your castor and fine that happy medium where your jeep still drives fine (not flighty) and not have too much castor to eliminate the vibration your getting from your drive shaft. Do a search, there are several threads about aftermarket DS + 5.13 gearing + too much castor that has led to the T case exploding due to the vibration. Another thing to look at is to rule out that your DS doesnt need balancing or the joint(s) rebuilt...Best of luck in resolving your issue...

Last edited by aldaman; 02-02-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Front driveshaft vibration