Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front driveshaft leaking at transfer case, Rzeppa seal

Old 01-29-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If you go off-road and flex the DS bends even more with the articulation of the front end. It'll spit a line of grease, quit, then if you wheel, spit more grease, quit, etc. Until most if not all the grease is gone. Therefore as WOL had mentioned before, kinda sucks when it gives its last breathe when your on a trail. Mine lasted about a year on a 4in lift only wheeling it about 4 times during that period.
You are right that the more you offroad, the more likelihood of the driveshaft failing....I absolutely agree. That is why I said this..... "What I do is just every now and then I check to make sure there is no new grease spatters that came out."
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my front Boot failed too. and after all the reviews I read, I went with Tom Woods. the U joint lifetime warranty sold me if it breaks and the shaft is damaged they will replace it .. I'm happy with it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyingbrian
my front Boot failed too. and after all the reviews I read, I went with Tom Woods. the U joint lifetime warranty sold me if it breaks and the shaft is damaged they will replace it .. I'm happy with it.
a lot of good that'll do you on the trail but, i'm happy to see you can think for yourself and do whatever it is you want with your jeep
Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	child_labor_in_china_07.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	271988Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	272002

Ahh, u forgot he has trail service........
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife

a lot of good that'll do you on the trail but, i'm happy to see you can think for yourself and do whatever it is you want with your jeep
Such a true statement regarding warranties.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fenrir

Such a true statement regarding warranties.
I don't know why but this driveshaft issue reminds me of the scene from Tommy Boy when the guy asks Tommy why they put a guarantee on the box.

"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

Classic.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Ahhh I was looking for this thread last night. I subscribed this time. I've got the grease splat on the front shaft, rear boot. I'll be ordering up a new one in a couple weeks. I plan on wheeling a few (or more as the wife allows ; ) times a year so I don't want to loose it on the trails. A big thanks to WOL for advise through a different thread and to all my jk'n kin here for sharing your experiences.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just noticed the same thing on my 07. Guess I will be looking for a new DS. WOL on the Tom Woods DS how much more did they charge for the upgrade?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jrylb73
I just noticed the same thing on my 07. Guess I will be looking for a new DS. WOL on the Tom Woods DS how much more did they charge for the upgrade?
don't know for sure the price difference, i just know they don't come standard. in case you missed it on the other thread, ms5490renegade posted this last night...

Originally Posted by ms5490renegade
My woods shaft has issues after 2000 miles and the ujoints were the cause.
A greased u joint basically broke apart on the caps and caused my normally 45 minute drive to work to take hours. Not only that, customer service was a joke and the other 2 joints went out in less than 30 miles after i replaced the first with a spicer joint. Tom woods is OK if you never plan on having to call them and you get spicer joints. Btw i haven't been offroad with that driveshaft to this date but i do have 8k on the spicers with no issue OR vibrations

sent using the dark side of the force
again, just make sure you upgrade to spicer u-joints before you have to upgrade to them.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife

don't know for sure the price difference, i just know they don't come standard. in case you missed it on the other thread, ms5490renegade posted this last night...

again, just make sure you upgrade to spicer u-joints before you have to upgrade to them.
Or you could choose NOT to support a company that sends American machinists to the unemployment line, while getting rich selling you cheap parts.

Quick Reply: Front driveshaft leaking at transfer case, Rzeppa seal