Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front driveshaft leaking at transfer case, Rzeppa seal

Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenrir
I may be doing an OME lift on my 2010 2DR this year as well and will need to replace the drive shafts. What drive shaft(s) do you recommend? A lot in my local Jeep community seem to go with Coast.
Originally Posted by drumnatural
So what shaft would u recommend?
a lot of people now run coast because they cost the same, if not less than the more popular brands out there AND, come with quality spicer u-joints standard - no upgrades necessary. having said that, so long as it's well balanced and come with good u-joints, a drive shaft is pretty much a drive shaft.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 AM
pik
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drumnatural...what size lift do you have?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pik
drumnatural...what size lift do you have?
in his first post, he said "2.5 OME lift with teraflex LCAs"
Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OME gives u more then just the advertised 2" lift. It's as much as 3" plus if u get the heavy load springs.

2.5" is my rough estimate
Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been running my stock front driveshaft for almost 2 years with that same line of grease that spitted out. In my opinion, it is caused by the excessive angle resulting in the rubber of the CV boot getting pushed in a little squeezing some of the grease out. Kinda like taking the cap off of a brand new tube of toothpaste...it's good as long as you don't try to bend the tube or it will start pushing the toothpaste out. Sorry for the funny analogy, but thats kinda how I would describe it. There's nothing wrong with the boot, nothing wrong with the bearings so long as it hasn't pushed all the grease out and there is no noise. What I do is just every now and then I check to make sure there is no new grease spatters that came out. I also run my fingers over the boot and give a little squeeze...you can feel whether or not there is still grease in the boot. I honestly do not see why you would need to right away run to the 4x4 shop for a new driveshaft....just keep an eye on the stock one for now and save up some money knowing that eventually you will have to replace it. But that's just my opinion and I am pretty much a noob, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I have been running my stock front driveshaft for almost 2 years with that same line of grease that spitted out. In my opinion, it is caused by the excessive angle resulting in the rubber of the CV boot getting pushed in a little squeezing some of the grease out. Kinda like taking the cap off of a brand new tube of toothpaste...it's good as long as you don't try to bend the tube or it will start pushing the toothpaste out. Sorry for the funny analogy, but thats kinda how I would describe it. There's nothing wrong with the boot, nothing wrong with the bearings so long as it hasn't pushed all the grease out and there is no noise. What I do is just every now and then I check to make sure there is no new grease spatters that came out. I also run my fingers over the boot and give a little squeeze...you can feel whether or not there is still grease in the boot. I honestly do not see why you would need to right away run to the 4x4 shop for a new driveshaft....just keep an eye on the stock one for now and save up some money knowing that eventually you will have to replace it. But that's just my opinion and I am pretty much a noob, so take it for what it's worth.
That's what I plan on doing. Watching and listening. I'm doing my homework now so I know exactly what I want/need when the time comes.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM
pik
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same exact thing happening under my JK. I have not taken my Jeep off road to 'twist' it up yet. I will be keeping an eye on the front DS and will be saving for a snew/better one if it goes out.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drumnatural
You may not need them. My rear is fine. My front failing was helped by my caster settings.

Go with the OME light/medium load springs or you'll get more then a 2/2.5 inch lift. With more lift comes adjustable track bars and a rear LCAs.
With the the Poison Spyder Bumper/Winch up front and a future PS or AEV bumper in the rear, combined with gear and a passenger, I plan on going HD. I'm sick of losing all my lift once its weighed down, but perhaps that is just a result of the stock suspension/spacer combo? I just want it done right, too many people reporting issues after not having done the homework. I'm thankful for these posts!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
If you go off-road and flex the DS bends even more with the articulation of the front end. It'll spit a line of grease, quit, then if you wheel, spit more grease, quit, etc. Until most if not all the grease is gone. Therefore as WOL had mentioned before, kinda sucks when it gives its last breathe when your on a trail. Mine lasted about a year on a 4in lift only wheeling it about 4 times during that period.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost the grease out of my front driveshaft @ 15k. Fortunately my Dealer replaced it NC under the lifetime warranty. At that time I did already have my lift installed but as long as you are less that 4" they will take care of it. I knew then new shafts were coming but heck it bought me some time.

Quick Reply: Front driveshaft leaking at transfer case, Rzeppa seal