Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front driveshaft (HELP)

Old 03-14-2016, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front driveshaft (HELP)

Hey guys I just did a 3.5 RE lift. It looks like there isn't going to be much down travel due to the angle of the driveshaft. Tell me what I need to do. 2013 Jeep Sport 2 door.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Run a shorter shock, Exhaust spacers, custom Y-pipe, or aftermarket DS.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ What he said.

Some points to consider. The aftermarket drive shaft is likely your best option. If you want to extend the life of your stock drive shaft, you will have to limit droop with shorter shocks. If you add exhaust spacers instead, you're stock drive shaft will still likely fail at the transfer case RZeppa joint (the angle will be more than that joint can handle) and your slip joint boot will probably make contact with the exhaust anyway - not as big a deal as the RZeppa joint failing, but still a concern. If you go with a different Y-Pipe that puts it behind the cross member, you still have the RZeppa joint failure. The only retail Y-pipe conversion I know of for a 2-door is from Borla and it's part of their Climber exhaust system, otherwise it's custom.

At least with most aftermarket drive shafts, you're getting a smaller diameter (less likely to hit the exhaust) and u-joints that are designed for the extreme angle.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Teraflex has a "high angle" rezeppa drive shaft if your looking for a maintenance free option. It's a little more expensive than most double cardan shafts though.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They also have a replacement Rzeppa joint for a stock drive shaft. Forgot about that.

Quick Reply: Front driveshaft (HELP)