Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Drive Shaft Swap Question

Old 02-14-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Quadratec, Rusty’s Off Road, Rough Country Suspension, Advance Adapters & Clayton Off-Road, all buy and sell Tom’s products. They are all well respected companies, known for quality products, and advertisers on this site. Wouldn’t you think if Tom’s products were problematic, they would drop him as a vendor in a heartbeat?
...and Costco sells Timex watches, but that doesn't make them as durable as Tag Heuer. Vendors are going to sell what people want to buy. A lot of people like Tom Wood's products, great for them.

All WOL is saying is that he has seen gold joints fail at a greater rate than Spicer or Neapco. If you don't want to believe him, or believe the members who have posted up their actual experiences, that is certainly your prerogative. One thing is certain, I don't recall seeing any members post up their random/premature Spicer or Neapco joint failures. That's enough for me to make sure I run Spicer or Neapco.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Haha.. here we go again.......
Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quadratec, Rusty’s Off Road, Rough Country Suspension, Advance Adapters & Clayton Off-Road, all buy and sell Tom’s products. They are all well respected companies, known for quality products, and advertisers on this site. Wouldn’t you think if Tom’s products were problematic, they would drop him as a vendor in a heartbeat?
Ok out of those companies listed two of them build cheap crap. I know one has some of there products made in china. I would highly recommend Quadratec, Advance Adapters & Clayton Off-Road. But even Quadratec has some cheap stuff they sell. I highly recommend Quadratec because there customer service is awesome.
Back to the point. I agree also with WOL suggestions. There are many good companies selling good shafts with spicer U-joints that cost the same and some even less then Tom Woods. So why buy lesser of a product when you can get a better one for the same money? Just my two cents.

Last edited by Rubicon10; 02-14-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkey
...and Costco sells Timex watches, but that doesn't make them as durable as Tag Heuer. Vendors are going to sell what people want to buy. A lot of people like Tom Wood's products, great for them.

All WOL is saying is that he has seen gold joints fail at a greater rate than Spicer or Neapco. If you don't want to believe him, or believe the members who have posted up their actual experiences, that is certainly your prerogative. One thing is certain, I don't recall seeing any members post up their random/premature Spicer or Neapco joint failures. That's enough for me to make sure I run Spicer or Neapco.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have no idea if one is any better or worse than any other. It just seems that the majority of negative reports are originating in one location. And that seems more than a bit suspect.

I think it was mkjeep that posted a link to a site showing the country of origin of the goldseals. Replace woods with spicer in that exact same search, and you know what you come up with? A website called 'made in china dot com'. Can you guess where it shows spicer and neapco joints are made? There was even an email posted that indicated that all three are made by the SAME companies, from the same materials. So my question all along has been, what makes one better or worse?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

vendors sell what fanboys like you want, unfortunately, it's called business. hell, i just updated a thread regarding why we blacklist manufacturers with even more proof showing the shady tactics that some will stoop to just to make a buck and, in spite of what they know, respected vendors i know continue to sell their products anyway. honesty, integrity or even making sure you buy a quality product means nothing anymore because, if they didn't sell it, you would just go to someone else who did.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have no idea if one is any better or worse than any other.
of course you no idea. you have over 6,300 posts to your name, live in the state of colorado and yet, for the life of me, i can't recall the last time i've seen you post up a pic or video of you on the trail or even talk about the last run you've done. you are a WEB WHEELER and have NO REAL EXPERIENCE other than what you read on the internet.

It just seems that the majority of negative reports are originating in one location. And that seems more than a bit suspect.
being the web wheeler you are, i find it suspect that you choose to only focus on the negative reports you read here and, are always so quick to to be critical of anything i might have to say regarding gold seal u-joints.

I think it was mkjeep that posted a link to a site showing the country of origin of the goldseals. Replace woods with spicer in that exact same search, and you know what you come up with? A website called 'made in china dot com'. Can you guess where it shows spicer and neapco joints are made? There was even an email posted that indicated that all three are made by the SAME companies, from the same materials. So my question all along has been, what makes one better or worse?
i love how instead of trying to show just how much better your beloved tom wood u-joints are, your only comeback is to try and throw everyone else under the bus. well my friend, even IF it were true that all these u-joints are made in china, your precious gold seal ones are the ONLY ones that i've been seeing fail time and time again.

btw, neapco u-joints specifically say MADE IN THE USA

there are laws that make it illegal to do this unless they are in fact made in the USA but, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe.

Last edited by wayoflife; 02-14-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info guys. I have an off subject question that I'm sure if I searched a little I could find an answer to but since we are discussing drive shafts.....
When you pull the flange from your axle you have to remove the pinion nut. Since I just regeared I learned all about crush sleaves and everyone says once you remove the tension the sleave is no good. So are you guys pulling the pinion and replacing the crush sleeve or just replacing the flange and retorquing the pinion nut

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft Swap Question