Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Drive shaft hitting transmission

Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Drive shaft hitting transmission

I have a 3 1/2" Metalcloak duraflex lift and an aftermarket front drive shaft (2 1/2" diameter). With the stock driveshaft, I know its common for the DS to hit the xmission case when flexing. I thought I would solve this problem with the aftermarket DS. The control arms are properly set and the DS angles should be ok (had a reputable shop install the DS). The axle is centered within 3/16 of an inch. I just got back from off-roading and notice that I am still hitting.

Am I missing something here? How do I fix this?
Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're hitting the transmission? Or are you hitting the exhaust crossover?
Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to find out as well why it would happen. Would the correct size bump stops help in correcting this kind of issue? Personally I don't know but that would be my guess, as well as maybe installing limiting straps...Here soon I will be around the same size lift myself and hopefully my stock DS last for the time being so that I can save for an after market DS for both front and rear. From what I have read its usually the rear in the 2 dr that should be addressed first...I have a manual.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 AM
JK Newbie

what after market DS did you end up going with?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:34 AM
JK Junkie

I've heard of people cheating the axle over a bit. Where exactly is it hitting... On the pan ?

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 06-15-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm hitting on the pan and have a shiny spot going up from there. The after-market DS is from a local driveline shop. So far, the only thing I can think of to eliminate this is to move the front axle over (to driver side) maybe a 1/4 inch and see what happens. I don't like things that are not symmetrical though, so the thought of the axle being not-centered is annoying.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcmasten
I have a 3 1/2" Metalcloak duraflex lift and an aftermarket front drive shaft (2 1/2" diameter). With the stock driveshaft, I know its common for the DS to hit the xmission case when flexing. I thought I would solve this problem with the aftermarket DS. The control arms are properly set and the DS angles should be ok (had a reputable shop install the DS). The axle is centered within 3/16 of an inch. I just got back from off-roading and notice that I am still hitting.

Am I missing something here? How do I fix this?
Post up a picture.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep driveshaft.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	559826

looks like I may have damaged the DS even more than I thought.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's not good. Actually, 'biggie332' in a post above, said it. "Limiting straps". I had the same issue and ended up using my high lift jack to raise each corner until I saw the driveshaft just touch the pan, then, I measured the distance of the axle housing to the frame. I made up my own limiting straps using 5/16" plastic coated aircraft cable to stop the axle just before it would hit the trans pan. It's worked great so far. You will lose a little downward movement of the axle but not a whole lot. I'd send a pic but I'm not able to right now. I'll try to send what I did soon. And yes, if you move the front axle over another 1/4 or so, it will help quite a bit.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

After market driveshafts will give you about 1.5" more axle droop clearance over the factory shaft. Installing a limit strap at the differential will prevent contact while still allowing each wheel to droop.

Quick Reply: Front Drive shaft hitting transmission