Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Drive shaft Clearance Issue.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive shaft Clearance Issue.

Hello JK-Forum members!
I have an issue with my front drive shaft as it seems it wont fit due to being too big... The bracket that holds the T-case cable is in the way of my double cardan 1350 driveshaft.
I thought about maybe modifying the bracket, and the T-case lever to bring the cable up higher closer to the tub.
Other options(more expensive) were to get a new driveshaft made, lift the Jeep enough to clear the bracket when the suspension cycles, or revert back to the rezeppa cv shaft(want to avoid at all costs).
I could please use some expertise from the community in figuring out a solution to this problem as I am left without 4 wheel drive and as any Jeep owner knows, no 4 wheel drive is no fun.
Here are some photos I took to give a better explanation of what is going on.

Please shoot me some insight, I enjoy listening and learning what I can from everyday people.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Move the bracket. It looks awful close to the ds even if it were stock.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

That's the factory OEM bracket holding the cable. I am not sure I can move it higher than where it is as it uses the top and middle studs of the T-case, if I am correct. UNLESS, there is something you know about that I am overlooking? I am curious to read what you have to say in more detail.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I am a fabricator, I would make it work.

Is that the factory flange? It just looks longer then I remember. If that could be shortened up it would give you the clearance you need.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

No its not the factory flange. It was machined that way to clear the T-case or at least get it out that area. By machining it shorter, would I need to extend the driveshaft? So far its looking like that bracket and the t-case lever is going to need be brought up a few inches and hopefully not affect the throw of the 4x4 shifter? If that's the case, I am prepared to go that route.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Depends on how your driveshaft was built and how much slip you have.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Hey thank you for your input, I was needing a second opinion from somebody. And you are right, If I consider myself somewhat of a fabricator, I'll have to find a way to make it work.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree, that flange looks awfully long. I'd shorten it, and have the driveshaft extended.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I am with Dirtman and JKRUBI. I would actually do 2 things; 1) what those guys advised. Take the bracket off the vehicle and cut a 3/8"(confirm this by measurement first) piece out of it and weld it back together to raise the cable away from the shaft. And; 2) try machining some outside diameter off the flange of the yoke. Not too much where you weaken the flange. I have 1310 double cardan shafts and there is a lot of clearance but I have different forged yokes though that hold the half cup of the u-joint. Are yours 1350? If you fu$k up the bracket I have one for you free but cover postage. Don't need it with my Chev conversion.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I would get the proper driveshaft flange and if the drive shaft was too short I would have whoever sold that to you make it right. There are 1000's of 1350 driveshafts running around without that issue. I will go out on a limb and say none have had to worry about that bracket.

Quick Reply: Front Drive shaft Clearance Issue.