Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

front drive shaft advice

Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yes, there is some truth to this. the factory rzeppa joint is stronger than a 1310 u-joint but the shaft itself is a lot weaker. a 1350 shaft is overkill for most people. i run a 1350 on our white jk but then, i'm running super big and heavy toyo 40x15.50s. on my orange jk, i run a 1310 with 37" falken wildpeak at's and feel totally comfortable with it.
Thanks WOL. I know you've written this before. Even if the rzeppa is stronger, with a lift putting it in a more extreme angle, it will eventually compromise it's strength.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

WOL, one more question, so the strength difference between a 1350 and 1310 is in the shaft itself? Are the joints the same or are 1350 joints stronger also? Where exactly is the strength difference between the two?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by renpia
Thanks WOL. I know you've written this before. Even if the rzeppa is stronger, with a lift putting it in a more extreme angle, it will eventually compromise it's strength.
not exactly - the extreme angle will cause the cv boot to fail prematurely and once that happens, it's just a matter of time before the bearings inside fail.

Originally Posted by renpia
WOL, one more question, so the strength difference between a 1350 and 1310 is in the shaft itself? Are the joints the same or are 1350 joints stronger also? Where exactly is the strength difference between the two?
a 1350 u-joint, it's yokes or flanges, double cardan and shaft itself is literally a lot bigger than those on a 1310. a 1350's shear size difference is where the strength difference is.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

not exactly - the extreme angle will cause the cv boot to fail prematurely and once that happens, it's just a matter of time before the bearings inside fail.

a 1350 u-joint, it's yokes or flanges, double cardan and shaft itself is literally a lot bigger than those on a 1310. a 1350's shear size difference is where the strength difference is.
Makes sense. Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly what happened to me and the next time I put it in 4wd it made all kinds of noise. Freaked me out until I found the problem. (thanks to research on the forum)

Quick Reply: front drive shaft advice