Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Dana 44 or Beefy 30??? Help!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll contact Dave @ Northridge to see if he has everything I need
Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont like interior sleeves. I know plenty of people have them, and they work well for those people. They just dont seem right to me. If you want to strengthen the 30 without going inside you could look into a treks truss and some RSE outer sleeves and c gussets. The axle shafts are going to be your weak point after that kind of bracing.

Ill be running 37x14.5 toyo mts on that axle once its done.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Harbourone
I dont like interior sleeves. I know plenty of people have them, and they work well for those people. They just dont seem right to me. If you want to strengthen the 30 without going inside you could look into a treks truss and some RSE outer sleeves and c gussets. The axle shafts are going to be your weak point after that kind of bracing.

Ill be running 37x14.5 toyo mts on that axle once its done.
Harbourne, how much added weight will the truss add, is it significant? Would this be a better route to go or is it mostly based on the type of wheeling...rocks, stumps, etc?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
Well, there have been a couple of instances where the axle housings have failed and cracked or broke. But....I've only heard of a couple compared to everyone else. I have hit and banged my housing on many a rock....still in tact. Anything we do to the jeeps is a gamble. It may or may not break. You could be hard on your jeep and have everything come out fine or you can do nothing and have a bad break.

Any way you want to strengthen the axle is up to you and your budget. As long as you do something.
Cool, thx again Toad, think I'm gonna stick w/ my original plan.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't say it adds much weight. I just figure I can not totally strip my housing (which is the only way I would interior sleeves, one mistake means new seals and possibly new r&p) and it can just be welded on at the same time as your gussets. It would also add more strength IMO. And it's not entirely wheeling based. I'm not a hardcore guy, but I've heard of heavy mt's bending housings on potholes.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I chose to massage my 30 and I'm happy with it.

A guy can add gussets, sleeves, a weld-on JKS TB brace, chromo shafts with full circle clips and probably call it a day if (a) he doesn't drive like a lead footed hillbilly and (b) weighs his tire and axle ratios carefully.

I run a 35" tire and 4.88s (featuring a larger pinion than 5.13). I also invested in RCVs and ProSteers. While the latter two mods might not have been necessary, they give me peace of mind and I'm confident in the strength of my front end for low speed, technical rock crawling... and, I'm still money ahead compared to the cost of a turn key front axle.

If I break something (and honestly, I don't believe I will), I won't repeat my build, but rather will call Northridge and have David build me a Pro Rock 44.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding axle tube breakage-
Prior to the JK housings we've seen break rather recently (and there are more out there than you're seeing on this site), I have NEVER seen any version of a Dana 30 (or 44) break a tube. Something in the tube metalurgy has changed. If you look at the earlier thread about the fractures, you'll also see that one of the broken units had internal sleeves. This breakage is pretty odd.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Regarding axle tube breakage-
Prior to the JK housings we've seen break rather recently (and there are more out there than you're seeing on this site), I have NEVER seen any version of a Dana 30 (or 44) break a tube. Something in the tube metalurgy has changed. If you look at the earlier thread about the fractures, you'll also see that one of the broken units had internal sleeves. This breakage is pretty odd.
That is certainly not encouraging for my plan, but nevertheless I still can't afford an after market 44...
Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

based on the type of wheeling you do and the size tires your gonna run

im gonna say that all you need is c-gussets.
and maybe 488 gears if your still on 3.73

im running 35s on 410 gears with a front locker, as well as doing some of the rocky trails nothing has broken on me. all i have on the 30 is c-gussets

my only suggestion is if you are going to continue to do snow and mud than i would buy a backup pair of axle shafts

Last edited by warlord; 11-19-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Front Dana 44 or Beefy 30??? Help!!!