Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Dana 44 or Beefy 30??? Help!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Dana 44 or Beefy 30??? Help!!!

Dilemma...Should I invest in beefing the D30 or go the 44 route? I really don't think I will ever be raiding the rock gardens, mostly trails, mud, etc, but I really want to put a 44 underneath. My future plans are 4.56 gears and Trutracs front & rear, if I beef up the 30 this won't be a problem but if I get a Mopar 44 it looks like i will have to regear it and hook up the wire harnesses, and honestly, I really don't want a locker (I know you probably think I'm crazy ), it's mostly snow & mud where I wheel, and nothing too intense, just for fun. I might be able to find a used 44 somewhere but not sure if I want to trust that, it's like buying a used Jeep, you know it's been wheeled hard before...my budget is around the same as the price of the Mopar 44, but I don't think I can expense changing the gears, installation, etc...which route should I go??
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Many are finding that the D30 ring and pinion are a weak link. While this is usually with lockers, a Truetrac is a VERY good LSD and you'll be amazed at the added traction.

In buying the MOPAR Rubi front, you'll still need to add many of the same 'Beefy' parts that you would need with your 30. For about $1,000 more than the MOPAR unit, you could buy a ProRock44 and get the right gears and diff, a MUCH stronger housing with better brackets and mounts and have something that will support even larger tires if you plan to go bigger.

There's no question, this type of investment is a big deal. We see many guys that have spent money polishing their 30 or 44 only to later wish they had gone another route. Once you've started adding money to your stock housing, it's hard to let go of that investment of money and labor. Hindsight- we'll all had it.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

I would like to go the ProRock44 route, but there's just no way I see that in the future at this point...budget, budget, budget...guess I will start polishing the 30 and go have fun! Thx for the advice!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

What size of tires are you going to run? Knowing that would help a lot in giving you good advice.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by porters
What size of tires are you going to run? Knowing that would help a lot in giving you good advice.
I'm really planning on going no larger than 33-34", I have no need or want to go 35's...I really like the stock look, feel, ride, plus the gas mileage as well. Plus I want my rig to last and I feel the more mods the easier it is to break things.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Here's my planned build:
255/80R-17 BFG KM2
TruTrac's FR & RR
Bilstein 5100 FR & RR
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Many are finding that the D30 ring and pinion are a weak link. While this is usually with lockers, a Truetrac is a VERY good LSD and you'll be amazed at the added traction.

In buying the MOPAR Rubi front, you'll still need to add many of the same 'Beefy' parts that you would need with your 30. For about $1,000 more than the MOPAR unit, you could buy a ProRock44 and get the right gears and diff, a MUCH stronger housing with better brackets and mounts and have something that will support even larger tires if you plan to go bigger.

There's no question, this type of investment is a big deal. We see many guys that have spent money polishing their 30 or 44 only to later wish they had gone another route. Once you've started adding money to your stock housing, it's hard to let go of that investment of money and labor. Hindsight- we'll all had it.

Okay so I want to run 37's next tire change and after talking to Planman, a D30 can last a long time with strengthening and a Truetrac, as long as you have limited air to sudden wheelspin. Since I have a D30, if I bought the Prorock 44, I would still have to buy the shafts, gears and Truetrac. So,If I wheel trails and limited rock, would it be best to keep the 30 for now? Can others that wheel a D30 and 37's let me know their thoughts too. Thx
Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vincent
I'm really planning on going no larger than 33-34", I have no need or want to go 35's...I really like the stock look, feel, ride, plus the gas mileage as well. Plus I want my rig to last and I feel the more mods the easier it is to break things.
You should be fine with the D30. It should have no problem with tires of those size and the type of wheeling you do.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

You should be fine with the D30. It should have no problem with tires of those size and the type of wheeling you do.
Sounds good thx for all ur help porters!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
I still run my 30 up front. I have added 5.13 gears and ARB lockers, a chromoly axle and c-gussets. I run 35" tires and have had no problems whatsoever. I use my jeep as both a daily driver and my "toy" on the trails. I have done some challenging trails throughout the last 3 years and my D30 is still going strong.

With what you plan on doing, I would say stay with the 30 and beef it up here and there.
Hi Toad, thx for the info!
So, based on the advice I've heard and read, I will be gusseting the front upper & lower C's, sleeving, and inserting chromoly axleshafts and should be good to go!

Quick Reply: Front Dana 44 or Beefy 30??? Help!!!