Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Dana 30 to 44 swap

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Dana 30 to 44 swap

I have a 07 sahara with the dana 30 in the front. I see that I can get the Dana 44 rubi with the elocker for 1400 plus from mopar as a complete bolt on unit. Looks like a good deal to me, and it looks really easy. Has anyone done this? If you have here are my questions.

1. Are all of the esp wiring/abs wiring just a simple plug and play?
2. From my reading, it looks like the dana 44 and 30 splines are differrent, seems to me that with the lift I have (2inch ome) and the way the stock drive shaft works the extra play in the drive shaft should be fine--do I need to replace the front drive shaft?
3. Does it come with a wiring harness, I know I can get one online if it doesn't.
4. Is the connection on the elocker, just a two wire 12v connection that can be attached to a relay/swtich?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

1. The wheel speed sensors are the same on the D30 and D40
2. NO
3. NO
4. There are two connections on the axle housing. One (the top one) to activate the locker. It requires 12V to lock and unlocks when the voltage is removed. The amp draw is small at 3-4 so a relay is not nessasary (I didn't use one). The bottom connector senses the locker postion on/off - closed/open. I wired a simple led to illuminate when the contacts are made.

I did not buy the factory cable and it is not nessasary if you intend to install your own switch which I did and it was very straightforward. PM if you are interested in the details. I live closeby if you want to check my install as well.

GL
Old 06-22-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply!!!
PM sent,
Maybe I'll even post some pics after I've finished?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

before you buy, do some searches on the d30 vs d44 from mopar....

you may want to build your 30 by adding a locker and axle shafts rather than buying the d44.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Does the lack of a rubicon transfer case limit the value/performance of the Dana44 axle? I understand the reasoning with better spline count and durability but the other major advantage is in the transfer case isn't it? Sorry for the newbie question but I think this is what I saw on the extreme4x4 show when they did transfer case replacement overview.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NE Wrangling
Does the lack of a rubicon transfer case limit the value/performance of the Dana44 axle? I understand the reasoning with better spline count and durability but the other major advantage is in the transfer case isn't it? Sorry for the newbie question but I think this is what I saw on the extreme4x4 show when they did transfer case replacement overview.
probably, i think the main reason for the swap is just the gears, shafts, whatnot. the transfer case is another great addition. i think they offer them as well as a bolt on, form the rubicon
Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've looked at build vs replace.
I live in the snow and from what I have read you have to go with a selectable locker in the front. I've looked at the aussie--that looks really easy(but isn't slectable). I'm not sure if I have the skills to put in an arb/ox etc. I've been quoted about 1200 or so for a selectable locker in the front--about a wash if you include the dana 44 upgrade . I have the 4.10's already so there is no problem there. This looks easy, and it is something I can do myself to save on labor.

About the snow, any opinions--if you have an aussie or other non-selectable locker and live in the snow, let me know how they drive, you may save me some money.

Quick Reply: Front Dana 30 to 44 swap