Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front dana 30 on 37s

Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeep_pride
Thanks for your input. Makes me feel a bit more conferrable transitioning to 37s. Great video man, congrats I could tell you took your time getting everything perfect. Jeep on bro!

Question so if I would regear and get strong axel shafts I would drop my percentages on breaking anything while wheeling? I would love to make a trip like the one you did in Colorado. Seriously I'm fascinated!
No problem. And yes upgrading axle shafts is a good start. As for the re gear, the higher you go the more chance you have of breaking the gears on the trail. Ive done my research and asking around. They all say no higher than 4.88. Due to the smaller housing, the gears become weaker the higher you go since the R&P are smaller (smaller teeth).

Im sticking with my 3.73s and not throwing any money into my d30 till I can get an aftermarket axle.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D3ADLY
You can always still break an axle even after upgrading. Do try not to get the mindset that your axle is bomb proof. Even 60's break.

With that being said I would reinforce my c gusset and put all the other money towards a prorock 44 or similar aftermarket.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.
What he said!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55
Dont spend that kind of money for sleeves and gussets. Your better off wheeling what you have with the 37s and put that towards a PR44 or other aftermarket axle.
Alright I'll consider this for sure, I will defiantly be saving money for a aftermarket 44 but for now I can't get one unfortunately lol. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to be as cost efficient as possible. I know it's unlike the "jeep" just emptied every pocket mentality but I'm always on a budget being a college student
Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Overall great advice and information here, thanks to all of you. Learning tons here.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

37s on a Dana 30 here with 5.13 gears , sleeved and gussets no issues so far

You also got to remember to keep a weak point for me it is my stock axle shafts easy to replace and cheap , I rather lose a shaft instead of gears
Old 03-01-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's for your input. I've been looking at getting sleeves and gussets but I don't know if it would be a good investment. I don't want to drop 600$ and then still bend it. Which is why I was looking at 44s but people say it's the same housing with different gears. With that being said I don't want to spend $2,000 (asking price on this forum) for a used/bet up with 20-30k miles on it just because it has $600 or less on upgrades. So I was leaning more to find out what upgrades I could do to the axel I already have to make it reliable enough to run 37s. For the Nitro do I need to take out the gears? Or just hammer it in after taking the wheels,breaks, and axel components?
Nope, same steps as replacing an axle shaft. Pull the wheels, rotors, axle shaft. Do the appropriate prep (I have a write-up on here from when I did it) and hammer them in. All in, it took me 4-5 hours and $150 (additional materials such as dry ice, etc.).

There's a pole on another forum of who's damaged a D30. 100 responses, 15% failed. Failures occurred on 33", 35", and 37" tires. As you go through the thread and see whose didn't fail, you'll see a common theme of sleeves, gussets, trusses, ball joints, etc. Yes, there are a few with nothing done.

In the end, I agree with what people are saying: save up for a better axle. However, you have to live within your budget and timeline and only you know what that is. There's a good thread in another forum that provides the actual strength increase from sleeves or a truss. Yes, not a Prorock, but it it approaches 75% stronger than stock. That's a huge difference. A standard Prorock is something like 110% stronger than stock. The numbers support it. The ring and pinion is another story. However, I agree that investing in more than sleeves and gussets isn't worth it on a D30.

You need $5k for a prorock. $2k for an unbuilt 44. Risking it works if you can afford to lose your daily driver for a period of time and have at least $700 laying around to buy a used D30 if you damage yours.

You're a young guy who likely has limited resources. Sleeves for $150 installed and gussets for $60 (plus getting a buddy to weld them in). No brainer in my mind. When I put my 37s on, I realized just how much beef you're trying to turn.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Chromo shafts, lockers, and 4.56 gears in my D30 and D44 with 37" Iroks .... you know it's a time bomb, but i've been driving it easy and so far it's held up OK
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Nope, same steps as replacing an axle shaft. Pull the wheels, rotors, axle shaft. Do the appropriate prep (I have a write-up on here from when I did it) and hammer them in. All in, it took me 4-5 hours and $150 (additional materials such as dry ice, etc.). There's a pole on another forum of who's damaged a D30. 100 responses, 15% failed. Failures occurred on 33", 35", and 37" tires. As you go through the thread and see whose didn't fail, you'll see a common theme of sleeves, gussets, trusses, ball joints, etc. Yes, there are a few with nothing done. In the end, I agree with what people are saying: save up for a better axle. However, you have to live within your budget and timeline and only you know what that is. There's a good thread in another forum that provides the actual strength increase from sleeves or a truss. Yes, not a Prorock, but it it approaches 75% stronger than stock. That's a huge difference. A standard Prorock is something like 110% stronger than stock. The numbers support it. The ring and pinion is another story. However, I agree that investing in more than sleeves and gussets isn't worth it on a D30. You need $5k for a prorock. $2k for an unbuilt 44. Risking it works if you can afford to lose your daily driver for a period of time and have at least $700 laying around to buy a used D30 if you damage yours. You're a young guy who likely has limited resources. Sleeves for $150 installed and gussets for $60 (plus getting a buddy to weld them in). No brainer in my mind. When I put my 37s on, I realized just how much beef you're trying to turn.
Great points, I think I may do gussets for sure now. I'll think about doing the sleeves also. I'll probably go ahead and buy them. Any suggestion? How much should I expect for install. I don't know anyone who welds in my area unfortunately.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great points, I think I may do gussets for sure now. I'll think about doing the sleeves also. I'll probably go ahead and buy them. Any suggestion? How much should I expect for install. I don't know anyone who welds in my area unfortunately.
The Nitro sleeves don't require welding. Just have a buddy help and follow one of the write-ups.

As for gussets, call around to some off-road shops. Also, look for local Jeep groups. Join and meet some people. Eventually, you'll likely find someone who will weld them up for you.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
The Nitro sleeves don't require welding. Just have a buddy help and follow one of the write-ups. As for gussets, call around to some off-road shops. Also, look for local Jeep groups. Join and meet some people. Eventually, you'll likely find someone who will weld them up for you.
Alright thanks! Great help. I'll look into it for sure. Any suggestion on which gussets are best?

Quick Reply: Front dana 30 on 37s