Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front D44 Beef up question

Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front D44 Beef up question

I have a JKU Rubicon and now run 38's with my stock D44 front end. I've heard a lot about bent C's, but have yet to reinforce them.

Do any of the sponsors offer a front D44 "Beef up" kit that includes axle tube improvements or C reinforcements, or both? I'd be looking for new brackets as well to weld back on after the upgrade?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any ideas along these lines? I have both welding skills and access to a shop, so I'm hoping to find all the parts in a kit.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you bet - a dynatrac prorock 44 is what you want!

in my opinion, this is the better way to go but, if you're just looking to beef up your existing axle housing, off road evolution offers gussets, sleeves and skids that you can weld on. of course, if you haven't got them already, i might upgrade your axle shafts to chromoly before worring about sleeves.

Last edited by wayoflife; 02-15-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the pic - that looks like a great set up!

Not to be too forward, but what is the ballpark for the axle, complete with an ARB,5.13 gears, good shafts, manual hubs and steering too?

I was expecting about $1200 including labor just to beef up what I have, and I've priced a complete 60.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

I see a dust boot. Are you running birfield shafts???!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Those are rcv shafts!
I think..
Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Thanks for the pic - that looks like a great set up!

Not to be too forward, but what is the ballpark for the axle, complete with an ARB,5.13 gears, good shafts, manual hubs and steering too?

I was expecting about $1200 including labor just to beef up what I have, and I've priced a complete 60.
well, unless you got a prorock 60 or a solid freespin and are willing to change out your wheels to a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, you're not going to be able to do manual hubs. for a prorock 44 unlimited with new arb, gears and chromo shafts, you'd be looking upwards of $4500 or more depending on what components you got. if you were willing to recycle your factory 44 parts, you could do it for about $2000. still, i suppose all this is way up and over your expected budget.

they are for the RCV shafts that i have. they are real nice but totally unnecessary. all you really need are a good set of chromoly shafts.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Dutchboy101
Pro Rock D44 is nice but not cheap.
You can just beef up your current set up with upgraded axle shafts, inner and outer sleeves, C-gussets, and a truss.

If all that fails on you, then it is time to start looking at a D60.
definitely would do gussets and chromo shafts and would even recommend inner sleeves as insurance but IMHO, outer sleeves is totally unnecessary and unless it's done by someone who really knows what they're doing, installing a truss can actually BEND your axle.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
well, unless you got a prorock 60 or a solid freespin and are willing to change out your wheels to a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, you're not going to be able to do manual hubs. for a prorock 44 unlimited with new arb, gears and chromo shafts, you'd be looking upwards of $4500 or more depending on what components you got. if you were willing to recycle your factory 44 parts, you could do it for about $2000. still, i suppose all this is way up and over your expected budget.

they are for the RCV shafts that i have. they are real nice but totally unnecessary. all you really need are a good set of chromoly shafts.
I forgot to point out that I already run 5x5.5 so the bolt pattern isn't an issue. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

I actually have some budget and can do upgrades. I really want to do the right balance of money and reliability, or possibly do something to "tide me over" until I have enough to go with a full 60.

I currently run a HPD60 in the rear with the tone rings and 5.13 gears, shafts and an ARB. I run the factory rubicon locker up front and 5.13 gears with high-steer, but no other upgrades. I ordered the Currie HD tie rod and am about to try and flip it.

I didn't realize I could get about $2K for the front 44. If so, that only leaves me about $2500 from the Dynatrac?!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I have a question about upgrading to the prorock housing. dynatrac says you can swap out your components in your garage as a diy. Are the differential guts that easy to swap into a new housing or do you need a professional shop set them like when doing a re-gear?
I recall that if you only pull the assemby you aren't required to re-set the back lash. Is that true?

If so, it's just pulling and re-installing...
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dutchboy101
Pro Rock D44 is nice but not cheap.
You can just beef up your current set up with upgraded axle shafts, inner and outer sleeves, C-gussets, and a truss.

If all that fails on you, then it is time to start looking at a D60.
I think it would be about $1200 total to sleeve, gusset and install all new mounts. The shafts are about $600 I think. So, it would be about $1800?

Quick Reply: Front D44 Beef up question