Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front coils have a bow to them

Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front coils have a bow to them

When standing in front of the jeep and looking at the coils, there is a slight bow to the outside in the middle of them, I'm just wondering if other people on a 4" coil lift have a bow to theirs as well?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Is your axle centered?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by u-joint
Is your axle centered?
No I did not get a adjustable track bar and I know the axle is off by the lift and also the driver coil has hit and is very close to the sway bar, the paint has even been rubbed off the coil by the contact when wheeling

Last edited by Jknockers; 04-20-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jknockers
When standing in front of the jeep and looking at the coils, there is a slight bow to the outside in the middle of them, I'm just wondering if other people on a 4" coil lift have a bow to theirs as well?
x2. Usually it happens when your axel is off center, or there is a cross-camber issue, maybe?. I have heard that it also depends on the quality of your springs. Some bow out because the manufacturing standards are not consistent. I know that there are spring shims some people get to straighten out the bow. The short answer is: yes, it does happen. Probably not a good thing, Man.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info,,,,It's probably just another one of those things I'm gonna have to live with, or chase my tail tryin to fix it. It works, I'll leave it alone. Was just wonderin if anybody else had seen it before.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jknockers
Thanks for the info,,,,It's probably just another one of those things I'm gonna have to live with, or chase my tail tryin to fix it. It works, I'll leave it alone. Was just wonderin if anybody else had seen it before.
I'm lost.... why would you have to "live with it" or "chase [your] tail"....

Buy an adjustable trackbar. You need one (actually two) anyway with a lift of that size.

The springs you say are bowed "out"... I read this as "out towards the tires"... is that correct? Usually when springs bow due to caster, they bow towards the forward or rear of the vehicle, not towards (or away) from the tires. So, if they are not bowing along the front/back axis, then correction plates are probably NOT what you are looking for.

Again, I could be wrong, but you absolutely need to center you axles with a 4" lift anyway.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by u-joint
I'm lost.... why would you have to "live with it" or "chase [your] tail"....

Buy an adjustable trackbar. You need one (actually two) anyway with a lift of that size.

The springs you say are bowed "out"... I read this as "out towards the tires"... is that correct? Usually when springs bow due to caster, they bow towards the forward or rear of the vehicle, not towards (or away) from the tires. So, if they are not bowing along the front/back axis, then correction plates are probably NOT what you are looking for.

Again, I could be wrong, but you absolutely need to center you axles with a 4" lift anyway.
Exactly. They bow to the front from not enough caster, and they bow to the side when the axle isn't centered
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mad-Hatter
Exactly. They bow to the front from not enough caster, and they bow to the side when the axle isn't centered
Yeah it sounds like an adjustable track bar is in my future,, Thanks guys
Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

My front passenger coil did the same, with only 1.75'' coil spacers lift,my axle is a litle bit off but nothing to worry about.

At 4'' you will need new ajustable trackbars to recenter axle.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi

might need to get some adj. control arms to correct the geometry....and Trackbars will correct the coils and center the axle where it needs to be

Quick Reply: Front coils have a bow to them