Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front bumpers with RV towability?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bumpers with RV towability?

I figure this is the best place to start asking...

What aftermarket front bumpers are compatible with either adding a baseplate or as is for attaching a front tow bar for RV towing. I want to get something with more clearance than the OEM bumper so the tires don't bump the wings at max articulation. Might cut them off but a new bumper could work too.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kb7our
I figure this is the best place to start asking...

What aftermarket front bumpers are compatible with either adding a baseplate or as is for attaching a front tow bar for RV towing. I want to get something with more clearance than the OEM bumper so the tires don't bump the wings at max articulation. Might cut them off but a new bumper could work too.
I know that both the MOPAR accessory bumper and the AEV bumper are specifically set up to work with the MOPAR towbar. I also believe that Durango4x4 is also working on something.

I have an old Blue Ox towbar that could probably be successfully mounted on almost any bumper with a flat face on the front (with appropriate backing plates).

I see you have a Demco baseplate and I am not sure if any of the aftermarket bumper builders are working around anybody's baseplate.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We flat tow our Ruby when going wheeling a long distance away from home, 50+ miles one way.

We got a tow bar from U-haul and had it modified at the joining point, took the 1/2" pipe off and moded in 2 flat plates per side to be able to use the large clevase tabs on the front of our warn bumper.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor

Check out the Currie tow bar, works with the factory bumper!!!

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2791

Old 01-13-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkkat
We got a tow bar from U-haul and had it modified at the joining point, took the 1/2" pipe off and moded in 2 flat plates per side to be able to use the large clevase tabs on the front of our warn bumper.
jkkat,
Thanks for taking the time to post those photos. That's exactly what I was looking for, hope it helps kb7our
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input so far on a possible front aftermarket bumper that can accomodate flat towing. I don't care if I cannot use my Demco tow bar although I would like to keep it ideally. My personal favorite for a new bumper is the LoD full bumper which has hoops for D-rings I just haven't received a reply from LoD is to whether or not the holes can be opened up a bit to accomodate the larger pins most towbars have. Still on the hunt.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.
Check out the Currie tow bar, works with the factory bumper!!!

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2791

Basically the Currie tabs sit exactly where my Demco tabs sit but what I am interested in is a different bumper that provides more clearance than OEM when rock crawling (so tires don't rub wings) yet still has the capability to tow. Possibly some of the aftermarket shorty bumpers that do not hang too low will still accomodate the Demco baseplate or something like the Currie, both of which sit right below and up against the factory bumper. Still hunting for just the right setup.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default tow bar

I ordered mine from LoD. They added an extra tab so I could use my uhaul towbar. $20.00 extra.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed a MOPAR winch bumper and then added a set of Roadmaster tow brackets to pull the Rubicon behind my motorhome. I also installed an aux braking system manufactured by SMI inc.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

I just got the new Rugged ridge front bumper, and i was able to mount my tow bar to it, where the D-Rings connect to the bumper...ill post pics as soon as I can.

Quick Reply: Front bumpers with RV towability?