Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Bumper Sag

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper Sag

I'm thinking of adding a Hanson mid-width bumper w/winch guard to my JK. My understanding is these weigh-in around 80lbs. How much sag should I expect? I added the TF leveling kit to get rid of the factory rake and I hate the idea the rake will return with the addition of the heavier bumper.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you'll sag a bit but really, not all that much until you add a winch on top of it. with a winch, you can expect about a 1/2" sag.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you add a front bumper and winch a spring from a 4.0L TJ will put you back to where you were prior to a bumper and winch. The 4.0 was a heavier motor and mounted more forward of the axle than the 3.8 so it is a good match on the JK for a bumper and winch combo.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 3/4" front spacer to get rid of the factory sag. When I added my Winch/bumper combo the front was down about 1-1/4" from level. I changed the 3/4" to a 1-3/4" spacer which then left the front 1/2" higher than the rear. Added a 3/4" to the rear to compensate. Anyway I got my lift and removed all spacers. The Rusty's springs held the front and rear up fine with the front bumper/winch. I just added a rear bumper/tire carrier with a full size 35" spare and a high lift Jack. Now the rear is 1/2" lower than the front. I will be placing the rear 3/4" spacer back in. Anyway it is a lot of jacking around and until you get everything weight wise on there and let is settle a couple weeks you won't know what you need.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

I just added a RR XHD without a winch it didnt sag at all. It may have even came up a little.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

You need to allow the springs to settle. This can take up to 2 weeks from when you initially add the extra weight.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Default best thing to do is add the weight ...

add the weight then add front spacers to compensate once you've complete bumper/winch or whatever you're installing.

different spring manufacturuers have different sag. you'll probably end up with 1/2", but best to add then measure.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Sag