Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Bumper Hoop - What is the Purpose?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really cant see the hoop on the XHD bumpers blocking that much air flow.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captjay
that hoop has saved my ass from slamming my winch into rock or a tree. whole lot cheaper to replace a hoop than a Warn winch.
Didn't think of that. Must have been one hell of a rock!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by firemarshal
Searched the threads and couldn't find an answer. What is the functional purpose of a hoop on a front bumper? I am shopping bumpers and want to keep as much airflow as possible to my radiator for our hot summers. Thanks in advance!
Assuming you are not talking about a stinger, just a simple hoop, it is there to protect your winch and radiator. It also makes a nice place to mount additional lights.

Plus they look bad ass without being the pain that stingers are in DD activity.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Three different types of hoops:

Stinger (Interceptor_1972's Jeep).

Provides protection to prevent forward roll-overs during steep descents (some Jeeps also have them on the rear for steep ascents). Proper height* should also protect front of Jeep if you do roll over. Get in the way when maneuvering on very tight trails. Very popular on off-road only rock crawlers where roll overs are part of the fun, but otherwise may be more of a nuisance if used in the woods or jungles. Still, many really like the aggressive look and they are common on JKs where the owners never anticipate a roll over.

*A line drawn from the top of the stinger to the top of the windshield/roll bar should clear the top of the hood.

Winch hoop (my Jeep, but TORN's below also has a winch hoop).

Protects primarily the winch against damage. Some protection for the radiator area, but little protection for the front end sheetmetal.

Hood hoop (TORN's Jeep).

Protects the front sheet metal and radiator area from branches, etc (similar to a brush guard on pick-ups). Very popular on overlanding vehicles which may see use in jungles, etc. On the JK, may get in the way of removal of the front grill (changing a headlight assembly on TORN's Jeep would require removal of the winch and bumper). Some of these hoops are even larger than pictured and provide protection to the fenders. I don't know why anyone would need that. LOL.

As for affect to the radiator: I have not heard of anyone, even those living in Arizona where it truly does get hot, complaining that their Jeep overheats. And many folks are running all kinds of junk that block airflow, including winches that mount on top of bumpers instead of set down into the bumpers. If you prefer the cleaner look of no hoop, that's one thing. But, I would not avoid a hoop out of fear that it will cause your Jeep to overheat.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-06-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firemarshal
I want to keep my fog lights, but I want them in the bumper itself. I also want to mount lights on each side of the hood near the windshield so I think that will be good (like the Hella or IPF HID's). I want to keep the grill as unobstructed as possible for airflow. Eventually I would like to get the AEV hood to improve cooling and for ease of adding a snorkel, but that is big $$$. I like an understated look. I want everything to be functional, but performance oriented. I like the MOPAR bumper but also like the RR XHD one as well. Thanks for all the feedback so far. I love this forum!
I went with the Olympic 4x4 Boa style bumper. It's pretty inexpensive, has the stinger which I like, you get to keep the fog lights. I mounted KC Highlite 130's on the plastic piece where a winch will go, eventually. Not concerned with air obstruction at all with this set up.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12001_030X_PG.htm
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0265.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	134267
Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

SM_RUBI had a great write up about the stinger bumper.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=stinger

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Hoop - What is the Purpose?