Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

front bumper / airbags

Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bumper / airbags

I can't remember if the the airbag sensors are in the front bumper or if they are behind it. I would like to build a custom front bumper and I'm not sure how far I can go as far as chopping stuff off the front before I affect my airbags. What sets the airbags off on these jeeps? I have a '10 Wrangler 4dr rubi. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my bumper off, and there are no air bag sensors in that area on mine.

I think the JK uses a gadget that measures deacceleration to deploy the bags, and it is not near the bumpers, but somewhere under the console area. I have also read there are airbag sensors in the headlight area.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-12-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No sensors in the bumpers. They are behind and below the headlights. There are also sensors in the passenger compartment.

Last edited by OH9JK; 10-12-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet....design time!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda on topic, but any ideas why only a couple bumpers are advertised as "Airbag compatible" or something similar? I can understand for vehicles that have the sensor and crush zones in the bumper but so far I've only seen ARB and I think one or two other manufactures state this. Just a marketing thing to appeal to those safety conscious folks? or do they have something else going on with the bumper...
Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Marketing ploy believe. Modern air bags are much more sensor oriented than the 90s versions. That whole could do more harm than good in fender benders. While losing the stock plastic and "crush" area could degrade vehicle impact rating I don't see how an arb metal front end is significantly different than RR or any other. It's probably just a few crash tests that a large company can afford vs smaller fab shops. IMHO once again it's a line in an ad that they have and their competition does not.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an inertia sensor. You could run without a front bumper, and the airbag system will still work normally.

Quick Reply: front bumper / airbags