Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Brake Lines

Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Lines

Has anyone else had problems installing the 2" extensions when doing a BB? I installed the RC 2.5" lift last weekend on my '08 JKU-X and I didn't have near enough slack in the front to extend. The back was fine.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed
I have a 2.5 RC lift waiting to go on and was worried about the break lines and if I should order some bc its my DD and I dont want to be stuck waiting on lines??? Any other advice with the install?? And how much time did it take??
Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 92BUKI
Has anyone else had problems installing the 2" extensions when doing a BB? I installed the RC 2.5" lift last weekend on my '08 JKU-X and I didn't have near enough slack in the front to extend. The back was fine.
you shouldn't have to extend your front brake line until you get to 4" of lift. only the rears should be extended at 2.5". having said that, you will need to bend your hard lines straighter in order to make them work but, again, this is unnecessary to do at all.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you shouldn't have to extend your front brake line until you get to 4" of lift. only the rears should be extended at 2.5". having said that, you will need to bend your hard lines straighter in order to make them work but, again, this is unnecessary to do at all.
Thanks Eddie, that is what i thought while doing the install but just wanted to confirm as i'm no expert yet!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Eddie, that is what i thought while doing the install but just wanted to confirm as i'm no expert yet!!!
key word here, "yet"

glad to be of help
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thecoz
Subscribed
I have a 2.5 RC lift waiting to go on and was worried about the break lines and if I should order some bc its my DD and I dont want to be stuck waiting on lines??? Any other advice with the install?? And how much time did it take??
No need to order new brake lines IMO. The rear ones were easy to relocate and from wayoflife's response the front doesn't need extended, which you will see once you get in there.

As far as advice goes I am a newb to this type of modification on my jeep, but I wanted to do it myself to learn more about it. What I would say is make sure your jack and jack stands are more than basic ones. The height you will need to lower your axle is very important in doing this. My basic floor jack would not get the vehicle high enough and the jack stands I had would only take it to around 17.5 inches which was barely enough to get the coils in. I ended up using the jeep jack to get it high enough for the stands. The other thing I learned was to loosen all control arm bolts and track bar bolts before lowering the axle. No where on the RC instructions said to do this and in most of the threads I read on a BB lift not many people talked about it either. It makes a lot of sense in hindsight as I believe I created a lot of tension in these areas and ended up with a serious Death Wobble I had to deal with. The last thing I would say is in my case, I think the added lift and possibly to tension on the control arms and track bar killed my stock steering stabilizer. I have 51k miles on my 08 and after about 30 miles of driving I experienced the DW. I have checked all bolt torques on the front end and replaced my track bar bolts with 9/16's as suggested on other threads. Everything else appears to be in good condition and working order according to other threads I have read to address DW. I got the single RC 2.2 steering stabilizer on it now and it seems to be doing better. I've got the other stabilizer coming this week to make it a dual as I'm adding bigger tires this weekend. Overall its not a bad installation, it took me longer than what most say but just have fun with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

No need to order new brake lines IMO. The rear ones were easy to relocate and from wayoflife's response the front doesn't need extended, which you will see once you get in there.

As far as advice goes I am a newb to this type of modification on my jeep, but I wanted to do it myself to learn more about it. What I would say is make sure your jack and jack stands are more than basic ones. The height you will need to lower your axle is very important in doing this. My basic floor jack would not get the vehicle high enough and the jack stands I had would only take it to around 17.5 inches which was barely enough to get the coils in. I ended up using the jeep jack to get it high enough for the stands. The other thing I learned was to loosen all control arm bolts and track bar bolts before lowering the axle. No where on the RC instructions said to do this and in most of the threads I read on a BB lift not many people talked about it either. It makes a lot of sense in hindsight as I believe I created a lot of tension in these areas and ended up with a serious Death Wobble I had to deal with. The last thing I would say is in my case, I think the added lift and possibly to tension on the control arms and track bar killed my stock steering stabilizer. I have 51k miles on my 08 and after about 30 miles of driving I experienced the DW. I have checked all bolt torques on the front end and replaced my track bar bolts with 9/16's as suggested on other threads. Everything else appears to be in good condition and working order according to other threads I have read to address DW. I got the single RC 2.2 steering stabilizer on it now and it seems to be doing better. I've got the other stabilizer coming this week to make it a dual as I'm adding bigger tires this weekend. Overall its not a bad installation, it took me longer than what most say but just have fun with it.
+1

I did it myself and I had the same problem with the stock Jeep jack. I used 5ton stands after I propped the jack up on a couple bricks, I think it took 3 standard sized bricks to prop it up high enough to comfortably drop the axle/install everything. I disconneced the brake brackets and the ABS before doing this, otherwise I'd have ripped them right off with the flex I was getting. I also used a secondary jack under the axle to carefully lower it/prop it up as was needed. Without the second jack the axle would of just dropped to the ground. Again, I'm new too, and the lift I was installing was a 3.5, so that's the way I did mine. I'm working on extending the front brakes for when I go wheeling and dc the sway bar links.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Lines