Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Brake Caliper Sticking

Old 03-09-2023, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Caliper Sticking

Been chasing this issue for a couple of weeks now and finally hoping I’m targeting the right thing. Passenger front brakes have been sticking on and off for awhile now, finally home from school and able to get the wheels off and take a look at everything. I did the typical diagnosis things, and after spraying some brake clean into the hoses and spraying it out with air compressor, I’m left with my caliper being the culprit. It doesn’t spin with or without the bleeder open, but sometimes it’ll stick sometimes it doesn’t while I’m driving around.

I’d like to ask either am I just unlucky or is this normal? This will be the third time I’ve replaced the caliper or line on the passenger side in about 3 years. Now with a new set of rotors and pads as they’re warped and pads are cracked as well. I run the Powerstop Z36 rotors and pads, as well as their red calipers on all 4 corners.

I originally replaced a line with if I remember correctly an advanced auto line about two and a half years ago, then the caliper started sticking so I “upgraded” to the red powerstops about a year ago, switching to their extended stainless lines somewhere in between and now I’m needing to replace the caliper again. I do hit the mud sometimes but no where near as much as I’ve seen some others and they don’t have issues, am I just getting unlucky with these issues or am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-10-2023, 03:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I've seen calipers be a normal problem, but 3 in 3 years seems pretty excessive. I was thinking try replacing the brake lines till you mentioned already addressing that. have you just been going with auto store calipers or OEM? I have to think this is just kinda crap luck. It's kinda hard to mess up simple brake job so I can't imagine you're doing anything wrong in that regard.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

First time it was replaced with a refurbished one from advanced auto, second was the “performance” one from powerstop, they rebuild factory ones but it’s not the same thing, and for now I’m putting a refurbished one back on until I can get the money together for new powerstops
Old 03-10-2023, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah that's a lot of dealing with the same caliper and definitely not a "normal" situation. I've only had my JKU for going on 2 years but I haven't had to mess with anything on the brakes. It has over 123k miles and I can tell the rotors (and I'm assuming pads) were done before I bought it, but the calipers and lines look to be original--though it's hard to say for sure.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I’m hoping that it’s just unlucky and also hoping that it’ll stop soon lol. I hope there’s not the possibility of a hard brake line that is clogged or something is up with the abs module or something like that. But I have 0 lights at all never really get any ABS kick where I wouldn’t expect it, etc.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you pulling the caliper slide pins and lubing them when doing brakes?
Old 03-10-2023, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah that’s one of the first things I checked, pins moved freely and were clean not scored, cleaned them and greased them again anyway when I cleared the line and no difference.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Caliper Sticking