Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front axle ujoint seized

Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle ujoint seized

Hey guys just wondering how common this is. I am regearing today and I just got a call from the shop saying my front axle u joint was seized...

I drive a 09jku 6 speed with only 50,000km

3.5" aev lift with 35" mtz

This seems like low km? Common for the jk?

We are replacing with some greasable ones
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

It's common, but not because it a JK.

Regular u-joints will seize if water gets into the bearings. Being non grease-able promotes seizure.
I've had it happen to all my vehicles that had regular non-grease-able u-joints on them.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

I replaced the ball joint in my Jk rubi several years ago, and discovered one of the axle ujoints was seized and I couldn't move it by hand at all. That was at about 50k miles. We are bone dry here and the jeep has never touched water.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Billnsandi
I replaced the ball joint in my Jk rubi several years ago, and discovered one of the axle ujoints was seized and I couldn't move it by hand at all. That was at about 50k miles. We are bone dry here and the jeep has never touched water.
Still, moisture gets trapped in there and corrodes the steel. I can't think of anything else that would make it seize.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Still, moisture gets trapped in there and corrodes the steel. I can't think of anything else that would make it seize.
Good to kno thanks this makes sense
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have non greaseable u joints it a good idea to change them out at least every 2 yrs, more often if you wheel in mud and water.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Duh
JK Newbie

I broke a vice in half trying to get out a rusted cap on my old xj. Gave up and left it. I figured if the vice broke, that joint wasnt going to. Or if it did, it might be easier getting that cap out then. I suppose i could have tried my hyd press at work though... Too lazy i suppose.

Quick Reply: Front axle ujoint seized