Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Axle Sleeves

Old 03-04-2017, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Axle Sleeves

Hey folks ... is there a Best axle sleeve or are they all about the same?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2017, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think there a waste of money but each to their own . I think I had terraflex weld inns put in my D 30 back when I still had it.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree, however, not my housing. My friend just wanted to add an extra bit of strength. Thank you for your reply.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They're all the same - a waste of money that won't add any real strength to the housing. The only advantage sleeves will give you, is that when you do crack your axle tubes, the sleeves MIGHT help keep it together long enough to get off the trail.

If the Jeep has been wheeled hard at all, the tubes might be slightly curved, making it near impossible to put sleeves in it anyway.

The Rockslide Engineering sleeves plug weld to the outside of the tube. They also have a kit that includes inner sleeves that are plug welded to the tube, and outer sleeves that are plug welded and edge welded.

A truss is much better, IMHO, but not nearly as good as a quality aftermarket housing.

Last edited by ShutterBug; 03-05-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The outside sleeves "should" give you more strength over inners since you increase the OD similar to aftermarket housings. With the plug welds you're also fusing the sleeve to the axle instead of the two just sitting close.

Is this for one of those JK8 housings?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The outside sleeves "should" give you more strength over inners since you increase the OD similar to aftermarket housings. With the plug welds you're also fusing the sleeve to the axle instead of the two just sitting close. Is this for one of those JK8 housings?
No it's for a 2007 regular Rubicon D44 housing.

This Rubi housing came out of Rubicon I put D44HD/J8 in..
I'll update you on how straight the housing is when he puts the sleeves In. Housing has about 180,000klm on it.
Can't put inner sleeves in the J8 housing. IMHO J8 housing is plenty strong enough for all but the extreme wheelers. I have over 50,000klm on mine so far no issues. For me personally, if I Needed heavier I'd just go to the D60s. Aftermarket D44 still use all same bearings, balljoints, axles and R&P. Not worth that extra cash to me. Thanks for the replies...

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 03-05-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Better off spending that money on a truss and gussets if he plans on keeping the factory housing.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Better off spending that money on a truss and gussets if he plans on keeping the factory housing.
Agreed. The sleeves are placebo. Just spend the money on a case of beer. At least then you know you bought something.... a hang over.

Truss it (a few hundred dollars and your time to weld it)
Buy a Teraflex housing and move your parts into it (About $1800-2000 and your internals, and professional set up)
Buy a complete/assembled ProRock 44 from NorthRidge 4x4 (Around $4500-$5500 depending on options)
Or buy a case of beer, get drunk and tell everyone you sleeved it, no one will know the difference... it will be our little secret. ($25-60 depending on libation of choice)

Quick Reply: Front Axle Sleeves