Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Axle Centering

Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axle Centering

I understand that it is highly suggested that the front axle be centered after a lift.

That being said, why is it important? I've read countless threads about this and still walk away with the basic question of, why?

What does it actually mean for it to be off center? Does it cause increased wear on the tires or other components? Or the the answer a simple, "well it was like that before, and it should be like that after".

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

It keeps the load on the tires equal.
It reduces the tendency for the Jeep to roll to the side opposite the displacement.
It brings the springs back to center over the spring seats.
It reduces the amount of steering wheel "off center".

Just a few ideas. I'm sure there are more.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Before I installed an adjustable trac bar my axle was about 1" off center. In some situations it caused my right front shock to rub against the frame rail.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochie
Before I installed an adjustable trac bar my axle was about 1" off center. In some situations it caused my right front shock to rub against the frame rail.
And allowed your sway bar end link on full droop to get turned into a pretzel!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most importantly, it just looks better. You won't be dog legging down the highway. Before I fixed mine, I could ride the rumble strip w/ my rear tire but not my front.

Remember, if you lifted your jeep w/out an adj track bar and your steering wheel is straight, it won't be any more after you install the correct track bar. Mine was off 180 degrees.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Centering