Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front axke ?s

Old 02-10-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What company should I use for the sleeves?
Old 02-10-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autograff323
What company should I use for the sleeves?
No need to sleeve if you are welding on a truss.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
No need to sleeve if you are welding on a truss.
Agree. A truss does much more than a sleeve. Adding sleeves isn't needed once you step up to a truss. People do sleeves not because it's the best way to go, but because it's cheap and can be done in the driveway or garage at home with no required special equipment (welder) or special skills (dropping axle, welding truss). I believe that if you offered most people the choice of the two for the same money that almost everyone would be trussed.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
Agree. A truss does much more than a sleeve. Adding sleeves isn't needed once you step up to a truss. People do sleeves not because it's the best way to go, but because it's cheap and can be done in the driveway or garage at home with no required special equipment (welder) or special skills (dropping axle, welding truss). I believe that if you offered most people the choice of the two for the same money that almost everyone would be trussed.
Actually you do need a welder as you plug weld the sleeve in place. This doesn't require dropping the axle but it helps.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
Actually you do need a welder as you plug weld the sleeve in place. This doesn't require dropping the axle but it helps.
True, if you buy weld in sleeves. I see many who use the hammer in sleeves though because of not needing to drill and weld. I'm certain that the weld in is better than the hammer in, but both are less than a welded in truss system.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

A truss is great but it does not reinforce that section right where the spring perches and lower control arm brackets are, and correct me if I'm wrong but all the breakages (other than just bent tubes) have been right in that exact spot? Wouldn't a sleeve reinforce this section also? I have a full truss and gussets and this only crossed my mind after it was all put back together so I welded some thick plate on the outside of this section of the tube.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian13
Wouldn't a sleeve reinforce this section also?
The break moves from the ca brackets down to the end of the sleeve at the pumpkin.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf

The break moves from the ca brackets down to the end of the sleeve at the pumpkin.
That's why I was suggesting both, for the cost it cant hurt
Old 02-11-2016, 08:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lol, nope, doesn't hurt. The problem is that you don't know if it will actually help. It's a guess, a hope that it doesn't bend or snap regardless of the money you've dumped into it.

And before you jump on that, yes, I do agree that reinforcement can help to prevent the snaps and bends, or at least lessen the severity. We have just seen that it hasn't stopped them entirely, people with sleeves and/or a truss are still tweaking their axle housings...
Old 02-12-2016, 01:56 AM
JK Freak

So, where on here is the weak spot your referring to? If there is additional welding to do, now would be the time to do it before I sell this. I want to have it ready to sell in the next 2 to 3 weeks, painted and done.

Quick Reply: Front axke ?s